AR 15 lower choices
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR 15 lower choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR 15 lower choices

I am new to AR 15 but have 10 or 12 WW11 rifles so I have been more of an old gun collector. Me and my twin boys are nearly finished building a Romanian AK 47 which proved a little harder than I thought it would. Anyhow I wanted to do a 1911 colt pistol build but boys want to build an AR 15. I have bought an upper Del-Ton and should be receiving it any day. After doing some research on AR's which I know nothing about I found Spikes Tactical is 8 miles from my house in Apopka. I need to buy a stripped lower and like the look of Spike. Since I would save freight and FFL are there stripped lowers considered pretty good? Now that I have done more research I am going to unload this one pretty quick. Next time I just want to buy the barrel and really start from scratch and get a truly customized AR. Like I said with the savings on FFL and Freight would a Spike be a good choice? Also what is a Tax Stamp?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #2

Liked 1422 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 628

Spikes would be an excellent choice for a lower!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, Spikes is a good lower. A tax stamp refers to tax being paid for a NFA (National Firearm Act) regulated firearm or accessory. On a standard AR, you don't need to worry about that. For further info talk to the folks at Spikes when getting your lower. Good job teaching the boys about guns.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #4

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Spikes is an excellent choice. Ironically, the lower receiver has the smallest impact on a gun's functionality as long as it is within spec and all the holes line up. Lower quality lowers will generally suffer from fit and finish issues. More important than the lower itself are the parts you put into it. A good lower parts kit is worth the extra $30-40 you invest.

A tax stamp is what you get from the BATFE to possess NFA restricted firearms, i.e. full auto, short barrel, suppressors, etc.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

So this won't require a tax stamp? I never paid anything on The Romanian AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Spikes is an excellent choice. Ironically, the lower receiver has the smallest impact on a gun's functionality as long as it is within spec and all the holes line up. Lower quality lowers will generally suffer from fit and finish issues. More important than the lower itself are the parts you put into it. A good lower parts kit is worth the extra $30-40 you invest.

A tax stamp is what you get from the BATFE to possess NFA restricted firearms, i.e. full auto, short barrel, suppressors, etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #6

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFlCracker View Post
So this won't require a tax stamp? I never paid anything on The Romanian AK.
Unless you choose a barrel length under 16", you're good to go.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

Liked 352 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'd like to add tho, that while most lowers are the same, there are some out there that are different. Especially if you are left handed. Some have ambi bolt catches, bolt releases, ambi mag releases, tension screws for upper fit, flared magwells, built in trigger guards etc etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I'd like to add tho, that while most lowers are the same, there are some out there that are different. Especially if you are left handed. Some have ambi bolt catches, bolt releases, ambi mag releases, tension screws for upper fit, flared magwells, built in trigger guards etc etc.
I did not know that. Guess what Spikes is 4 weeks backorder on their stripped lowers so what does that tell you. I asked why and he said guns are selling real well because of Iran and a week President. ( I added the week Pres. ) I just heard on the news Iran sent a paper airplane to Obama and said here is your Drone. True ?? Dont know.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #9

Liked 352 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Defense Review - AXTS A-DAC Ambidextrous Dual Action Catch AR (AR-15/AR-10) Lower Receiver Series for Improved Speed and Handling/Ergonomics: Meet the AX556 and AX762 Ambi AR Lowers

Very expensive, but very nice. The only problem with it I hear, is that once you try it out, you'll want them for every single AR that you own.

Buying direct from Spikes is difficult, as they usually have long lead times. Try Aimsurplus or your local gun store. Try you local gun store for AR stripped lowers, you'll probably have to do paperwork anyways, and help keep their doors open.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Defense Review - AXTS A-DAC Ambidextrous Dual Action Catch AR (AR-15/AR-10) Lower Receiver Series for Improved Speed and Handling/Ergonomics: Meet the AX556 and AX762 Ambi AR Lowers

Very expensive, but very nice. The only problem with it I hear, is that once you try it out, you'll want them for every single AR that you own.

Buying direct from Spikes is difficult, as they usually have long lead times. Try Aimsurplus or your local gun store. Try you local gun store for AR stripped lowers, you'll probably have to do paperwork anyways, and help keep their doors open.
I live 8 miles away from the Manufacturer now why wouldnt I buy straight from them again. No delivery charge and no ffl fee plus they love the locals coming buy.