Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Lower Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Lower Advice

I'm totally new to AR-15's. Along with about 1,482,548 other FNGs I've been thinking about getting a stripped lower and starting my own build. As much as anything else seems like it would be a fun project and a good learning experience.

I've found a place that has S&W M&P-15 stripped lowers for $180. I don't see too many people talking about using this lower. Any opinions about it good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Along with about 1,482,548 other FNGs
Okay, that had me laughing out loud....

I had said it dozens of times, and I guess once more won't hurt ( ) -

A receiver is a receiver is a receiver is a receiver. Unless you are getting some piece of third world pot metal crap than you can change tolerances merely by pressing hard with your fingers, IT DOESN'T MATTER whose name is on the side.

At this point in time, if you can find ANY stripped lower and YOU are comfortable with the price, I would urge you to buy it before someone else does and get the lower on the books.

Is $180 a good price for a stripped S&W Lower? No, not in my opinion, it's robbery, but that is what they are going for now that Fruitcake Incorporated have taken power and will soon be banning these "dangerous" weapons.

If you can get any lower, stripped or otherwise, I would urge you to do it unless you live in occupied Terror-Tory ( like NY, NJ, Mass or Kali ). If you don't live in one of those states, odds are very good you will be grandfathered in and will be "allowed' to keep the weapon should a new ( WHEN A NEW ) AWB comes back into place.

Finding parts kits are extremely rare right now, but in due diligence for the forum, I have sent out several e-mails to some of the top suppliers asking for updates for the forum when they have kits in for purchase. Nothing new on that yet....

So, good luck and feel free to post any questions you may have. The guys here LOVE building EBR's.

JD

Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Is $180 a good price for a stripped S&W Lower? No, not in my opinion, it's robbery, but that is what they are going for now that Fruitcake Incorporated have taken power and will soon be banning these "dangerous" weapons.
I here ya, but it seems like most prices are north of $200 now, if you can find something in stock.

Quote:
If you can get any lower, stripped or otherwise, I would urge you to do it unless you live in occupied Terror-Tory ( like NY, NJ, Mass or Kali ). If you don't live in one of those states, odds are very good you will be grandfathered in and will be "allowed' to keep the weapon should a new ( WHEN A NEW ) AWB comes back into place.
So, unfortunately, I do live Kalifornia. My plan would be to build a Kali legal gun using a bullet button or similar mag release requiring a tool to drop the mag. If I understand correctly you're suggesting that maybe in Kali we won't be grandfathered if/when a new AWB takes effect. Have I got that right?

I guess I would have thought the new AWB would be done at the federal level, and probably affect us all equally. I suppose there is a chance that the loonies in Sacramento might be encouraged by the recent turn of events to pile on with some new rules of their own. I'll have to think about that risk, but it's probably worth taking.

Dave

Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

During the previous AWB, under Klinton 1, I was under the impression that everyone was grandfathered in. I was informed otherwise that people in NY and Mass had to "register" and/or turn in their previously owned AR's.

Kali has been, for awhile now, the "breeding ground" for REALLY bad ideas that involve taking away guns and personal freedoms.

It's not beyond the realm that your local Nazi's would try to tack something on and further restrict your freedoms.

I don't know, and neither does anyone else, and THAT is the problem....

There is no guarantee that you will be grandfathered in. There is also no guarantee that they WILL NOT grandfather you in.

There is risk with either choice - but I would always error on the side of HAVING the firearm and MAKING them get it from me. Person to person sales laws are still a bitch for the authorities to prove/disprove.

JD

Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #5

Well, there are many risks to consider. There is the risk of waiting, and seeing a new ban passed where you would have been grandfathered in if only you had the firearm. As you point out there is the risk of building a new firearm and not being grandfathered in. Of course, if you do build the firearm there is the always present risk of a boating accident.

Dave

Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Anvil Arms has stripped lowers for $140. There's nothing on their web page that implies they're out of stock, either. Might be worth a look to save some coin.

And even if you do live in NY, MA, NJ, CA or similar state, now would be an outstanding time to buy.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #7

Default Found a few

A local dealer has a few stripped lowers. Pricey at $189.00, but they are charging him through the nose for them. If need ed PM me and I will put you in touch with him. Yeah, I am a FNG to.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I'm totally new to AR-15's. Along with about 1,482,548 other FNGs I've been thinking about getting a stripped lower and starting my own build. As much as anything else seems like it would be a fun project and a good learning experience.

I've found a place that has S&W M&P-15 stripped lowers for $180. I don't see too many people talking about using this lower. Any opinions about it good, bad or indifferent?

Thanks.

Dave
Welcome to the world of evil black rifles, that can cause tears in the space/time continuum all by themselves. Or so I'm told

Not sure who is making the lowers for S & W, but they do put out a very nice AR. Around these parts, north of your northern border , S & W lowers have been going out the doors at $225 So, is that $180 a good price, compared to around these parts.....uhmmmmmmm.....YEP! I almost gave in and picked one up at that price...but my conscience keeps pulling my hand away from my wallet.

But if you can't find a better price, then I would say yes. If you can wait out the storm and the gamble of maybe getting one or not.....then I'd say no.

Hopefully, this will all wash away, no ban will occur, or at most a modified version of the last ban, but it's anyone's guess at this point. Those of us who waited, may be S.O.L. and not get anything or have to PAY the price. Then again, nothing could happen and it could be back to biz as usual, with lower prices again.

You could pick up that lower, and then find yourself at the mercy of the gougers who want almost that much for a lower parts kit now. Or with diligence and searching the net, you could find all the pieces necessary, albeit at a little higher price than usual, and have yourself a complete AR.

If the name on the lower doesn't mean much, and to tell the truth as JD said, a lower is pretty much a lower, no matter what the salesman tries to tell you. It's all the other pieces in conjunction with it, and how they are assembled that will make the diference. LRB has lowers advertized at $109.95, and there are quite a few others in the sub $150 range. It just takes searching and luck. Then again, you may not want to hassle with having to find an FFL to have a lower transferred to, if you were to order on the net. So maybe that $180 isn't such a bad deal for you then.

Either way you go...Good Luck with your choice, and again, welcome aboard. Anything else we can help you with, just post away. This a good bunch of guys, with a wealth of info and advice, willing to help. So you are in good hands.

Slo

Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
1. A receiver is a receiver is a receiver is a receiver.

2. IT DOESN'T MATTER whose name is on the side.

3. Is $180 a good price for a stripped S&W Lower? No, not in my opinion, it's robbery

JD
1. There are major differences. A good portion of compies produce out of spec crap when they claim to be in spec. Olympics arms being the worst, I wouldnt use one as a door stop. Bushy, RRA, and DPMS are hit or miss. Stag is ok but they too have issues. The first gen Smith lowers left something to be desired (made by Stag) but ot are made by smith and are top notch. Some other reputable lowers are Larue, Sun Devil, Noveske (one the best), Spikes Tactical, Defensive edge.

2. It does, read above mentioned text

3. The suggested retail set by Smith (before the election hoopla) was $160. So your not paying to much over retail.

-DM-

Old 01-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
I was informed otherwise that people in NY and Mass had to "register" and/or turn in their previously owned AR's.

JD
I understand your a Mod and all, but I really dont know where you are getting your info. No one here (MA) had to turn anyhting in, and they were already "registered" through NICS and the state (State Form F/A-10)

-DM-