Ar 15 light primer strike
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar 15 light primer strike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar 15 light primer strike

I have a s&w ar15. I just installed a Midwest industry 12 inch quad rail. Torque the barrel nut @ 70lbs to properly align gas tube. I also polished my trigger & shorten 1 ear of hammer spring I've done this b4. Out of 40 rounds i had a light primer strike. Im worried about my rail install. Could i have caused this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4112 Times on 2796 Posts
Likes Given: 2038

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshoot View Post
I have a s&w ar15. I just installed a Midwest industry 12 inch quad rail. Torque the barrel nut @ 70lbs to properly align gas tube. I also polished my trigger & shorten 1 ear of hammer spring I've done this b4. Out of 40 rounds i had a light primer strike. Im worried about my rail install. Could i have caused this?
I can't see how a rail would affect the ignition. Did you shoot the rifle b4 the upgrade? What did you want to accomplish by shortening the spring?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #3

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

1) Might be nothing to worry about if it only happened once. Dud round, anomalous situation...you get the point. Shtuff happens.

2) If it's a recurring problem, the first step is to clean up your BCG. Sometimes a bit of dirt/grease/grime can impact the movement and resulting reach of the firing pin. Some brand new BCGs actually leave the factory greased to the point where this sort of failure occurs right out of the gate if they're not cleaned up before installation.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

What is your ammo choice? I would not get in a twist over 1 round

Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6727 Times on 3582 Posts
Likes Given: 504

modifying the hammer spring will cause light strikes you need a new spring.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshoot View Post
I have seen this mod b4. Im not a fan of shortening the spring because what your experiencing is common when this is done. Your going to need to get you a new spring. I tried playing with a trigger to make it better the polishing does make it smoother an I do it to all my guns that have stock triggers. But I highly recommend a adjustable trigger after market if you want a good light feeling trigger. Im a fan of a temney but thats just me.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

I also think you should replace the modified hammer spring with a proper one.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 11-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3358 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

A sweet trigger does you no good when the gun does not reliably go bang

purehavoc Likes This