AR 15 Kits.. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 Kits..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'll keep this post as my main post so we can keep track of my pickings! lol

Trigger: RRA 2 stage: trigger + lower parts kit
Stock http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=828542 - $58 - 6 position adjustable

Forend: http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearms.html - Mid-Length (Overall length: 9.2 in - Weight 17.5 oz.) (YHM-9603) $130.00

Barrel: 1x9, non chrome lined

Upper: A3 w/detachable carry handle

Last edited by Vertiviper; 01-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would shop that lower parts kit and RRA trigger around a bit, just in case you can find either the part, or the trigger, for a better price. I know price increases have happened, but $170 for that kit is a lot since it was going for about $120 a couple of months ago.

So, the next question is to consider the type and rifling of the barrel you want to get.

What is your ideal round of ammunition that you are wanting to shoot?

Standard military 5.56mm? Or what?

What is your expected level of accuracy that you are after?

JD

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #13

My ideal round would be a standard 5.56mm, this way I have the option of shooting a rem .223.

As far as level of accuracy, medium-high at 100 yards. It's mainly a home protection firearm.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #14

Okay, here is some information.

General school of thought:

1:7 Twist Barrels will handle 55 to 90 grain ammo. 1:7 Twist Barrels could overspin a softer varmint style 55 Gr.

1:9 Twist Barrels will handle 45 to 70 grain ammo.

For an average bullet weight of 55 to 62 grain, the most common, I would recommend the 1:9 as it will yield SLIGHTLY better accuracy.

Now, standard military ammo that I buy is 55 grain, and that is pretty standard.

A chrome lined barrel, one of the most popular, is slightly less accurate than a non chrome lined barrel.

A chrome lined one has a much longer barrel life, but with the average shooter, it would take you several, several thousands of rounds through a non chrome lined barrel to "shoot it out" if you take care of it like you should.

With the addition of a free floated fore end, and a good trigger like the RRA 2 Stage, you should be able to easily shoot 1.5 MOA at 100 yards if you do your part + the weather/wind is with you, and that is with "factory" ammo.

Of course that will also depend on good optics, practice and all the usual things that go into "good" shooting. Practice, practice and more practice will be the key to getting accuracy out of your weapon.

JD

Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #15

Makes sense, I'll go for a 1x9 non chrome lined. (edited my main post)

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #16

Well, now you probably have to decide on what type of upper you want to get.

A1?
A2?
A3?

A1 and A2 have the carry handle / sight combination.

A3 is the flat top upper that allows any optics/sights to be mounted.

The key is to get one that will match as closely as possible to your lower.

Most of the common parts are all being made to almost the same specs ( except for Colt and their large pin configuration & some of the lower end models without the same QC procedures ).

What your are looking for is a tight match up along all the points of the upper & lower with no gaps, angles of light or anything of that nature. Chances are, you will be fine no matter what you get unless you have a giant gap or an over lap on one side of the other.

There are tricks we can talk about later to help with the match between upper and lower, a key to accuracy, but lets see what you end up with first. Too much too soon can lead to OVER information... LOL

JD

Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
My ideal round would be a standard 5.56mm, this way I have the option of shooting a rem .223.

As far as level of accuracy, medium-high at 100 yards. It's mainly a home protection firearm.
You're defending your home at 100 yards?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
You're defending your home at 100 yards?
Yeah, I thought that was kind of short range too, but to each his own.

JD

Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #19

JD - I'll lean towards an A3 with a detachable carry handle , ideally if I can get my hands on a complete upper w/barrel that would be a good thing. lol

Matt- The first line of zomby defense begins at 100 yards.

edited my main post..local shop has a RRA 2 stage in stock, it's on hold and i'm pickin it up after work!! $120

Last edited by Vertiviper; 01-08-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
JD - I'll lean towards an A1 or A2 with a detachable carry handle (if there's such a thing), ideally if I can get my hands on a complete upper w/barrel that would be a good thing. lol

Matt- The first line of zomby defense begins at 100 yards.

edited my main post..local shop has a RRA 2 stage in stock, it's on hold and i'm pickin it up after work!! $120
That would be the A3 flat top with the removable handle. The A1 and A2 have the handles forged as part of the upper receiver.

As for a complete upper....GOOD LUCK Kidding of course, but it will take some luck to find one. Keep checking the equipment for sale sites on the varioius AR forums, like this one and AR15.com, etc. But even then, you have to be quick, because they are gone even quicker.

Another site that I recommend, check with often and buy from, is....
PK Firearms

Nice thing about their site is, if it isn't shown on the site, then they don't have it in stock, won't be charging your card, then telling you after the fact that you'll be waiting for umpteen months for back order.

Check here for that RRA 2-stage....RRA 2-STAGE LINK

Good luck on your build, and you came to the right place for help, too.

Slo