Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 handguards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default AR-15 handguards

Hey guys been awhile since i've been on here. I was thinking about getting a set of quad-rail handguards for my AR-15A2 but have a few questions since I've never changed them out before.

I wanted to get a set that I can change over myself on the coffee table in the living room without much trouble, do they exist or do they all require a little gunsmithing

I also didnt want to spend a fortune on them. I work 2 extra jobs in addition to my primary job so I can have a little extra cash to play with, key word is little in that statement. I saw a set of them on cdnnsports.com that I can afford and since I've ordered from them before and was very pleased I figured they would be a great place to start.

The handguards I was looking at are $69.99 for the rifle length and they are made by UTG. I know they aren't top of the line but neither is my rifle. Any thoughts?

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are drop in rail systems, sure! Almost none of them are free floated, beware of claims to otherwise, UTG is big about this problem. I'm less trusting of UTG rails now, to be honest. They are quite a bit heavier and bulkier then higher quality rail systems from other brands.

My UTG rail system ended up getting downgraded to airsoft rifle duty. Spending a little more on a Troy or MI would really net you some nice weight savings and bulk shaved off as well. You may pay double for it, but you will REALLY appreciate the difference.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

11494 - AR-15 and M16 Handguard Set, Black, Command Arms Accessories, Quad Rail, Polymer

Better choice then UTG, costs a tiny bit more ($75, so 6 bucks more), will be more reliable in the long run while not wearing you out hauling it around. No tools needed to install (beyond whatever tool you normally use to remove standard handguards). Command Arms isn't MUCH better then UTG, but they are a bit better thought of.