Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15, free float piston systen with foward charging handle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Forceing the use of a beer can grip isn't doing anyone any favors.
what do u mean by that

Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
what do u mean by that
It forces you to use a support grip like how you would hold a beer can. Its not a natural grip (at least for most, lol) and doesn't do a lot for stability. I used to use a similar grip and after switching to a thumb over I've noticed a huge improvement in, well, everything.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
It forces you to use a support grip like how you would hold a beer can. Its not a natural grip (at least for most, lol) and doesn't do a lot for stability. I used to use a similar grip and after switching to a thumb over I've noticed a huge improvement in, well, everything.
That's why I stay away form VGs. It leaves all the rifle's weight above your hand, causing a lot of sway when you're swinging the rifle. Plus as mj said, it's not a natural position, and for me it gets uncomfortable after shooting for very long. If I were gonna use that type of grip, I'd just grab ahold of the mag well.

It's all personal preference. If VGs work for you, then use them, but I would recommend at least trying the thumb over for a range session, either with or without an AFG. If you try it, make sure and get your hand as far out on the hand guard as you can to get the most of the grip.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"