AR-15 for first timer - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 for first timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

lol, Now thats much better. Yeah they make some of the best mounts available. They also produce some wonderful rifles.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #32

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Chrome Lined, MP, Carbine
Rifles - 5.56

Grabagun.com Smith & Wesson M&P15 SPT 556NATO 16" 30RD FLD Online Gun Store

Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #33

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Also, in my search for LPKs and the such, I have found two and three stage triggers that are hugely more expensive than the standard single stage triggers. My question is what is the difference and why the huge price difference?

As an American one should always support the troops, screw the politicians!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #34

In my opinion, just use a standard mil spec trigger first. They aren't bad, and better than most pistols. If you want to go that route....look later, it only takes 5 mins to swap them out.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Save your money right now and go w/ a normal LPK.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55
Also, in my search for LPKs and the such, I have found two and three stage triggers that are hugely more expensive than the standard single stage triggers. My question is what is the difference and why the huge price difference?
Different trigger pulls. A single stage trigger (standard trigger) has a "sweet spot" or "let off point", once its found it fires the weapon. A 2 stage trigger has 2 points of resistance that are found when the trigger is squeezed. I personally have no experience with a 2 stage trigger, plan to get one down the road, but from my readings it greatly increases accuracy vs single stage.

I don't claim to know as much as these other guys however, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by ShirtRIPPA; 12-04-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #37

The reason why a lot of precision builds use 2 stage triggers is because of the second stage. Imagine if you will, slowly squeezing your trigger and it pulls nice and light and smooth (first stage). Then your trigger stops (second stage) and pulling it a little harder (usually 1to 2 #s more) your get your slick as the hammer is release and Boom hits the firing pin. The biggest advantage here is, you know exactly when the sear is going to disconnect and let the hammer fly.

Where as on a single stage, its squeeze...squeeze....squeeze...wait for it.....squeeze....*click* Even if you got a lot of of time with that particular trigger, there a little guessings as to exactly when the trigger's goin to break.

Personally I like 2 stage triggers now. I didn't before. After few hundred round rounds with it, they won me over. I especially like that if your are pulling hard and fast it just feels like a one stage. But when your all set up and slowly squeezing off shot to get that long distance shot off, it allows greater precison.

But seriously, get to know your milspec trigger first. If you don't like it it can be changed or modified very easily in the future. One of the reasons I started looking for a new trigger is that one of my carbines had a really sh*tty trigger and the other had a decent one. I thought it was really nice at first (prolly because I'm used to shooting glocks heh heh) but then going out to 300 yards it was really difficult to me. So I stoned my sears, lightened my springs, shaved my hammers etc etc. Went through about 5 sets of milspec triggers and while they were much better than the original was never really satisfied. Then I met my first Geissele. Rest is history.