AR-15 for first timer - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 for first timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How short of a barrel can we civvies go without breaking any laws? I know most of the states gun laws but rifles have always just been about hunting and long range shooting with my family so this shorter length is somewhat uncharted territory... Also, if I purchase a BCM complete upper and a spikes complete lower for some reason, what are the chances of me running into issues with assembly when I put the two together? I don't know if crossing manufacturers would cause issues or if most of these are essentially drop in builds?

Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #22

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55
How short of a barrel can we civvies go without breaking any laws? I know most of the states gun laws but rifles have always just been about hunting and long range shooting with my family so this shorter length is somewhat uncharted territory... Also, if I purchase a BCM complete upper and a spikes complete lower for some reason, what are the chances of me running into issues with assembly when I put the two together? I don't know if crossing manufacturers would cause issues or if most of these are essentially drop in builds?
I think it 16 or 16.5 for all rifles everywhere. There an overall minimum length too.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
Although it's actually not illegal to have a barrel shorter than 16", IIRC you have to go through an additional permit process to get a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR). In my opinion, however, for what you mentioned doing, having an SBR is pointless. I built my own lower not too long ago, and just last weekend finished building one for my Dad. Both are 16" barrel carbines, and cycle and shoot perfectly.

I highly doubt you will encounter any issues mating a BCM upper to a Spikes lower, as both companies stick to Mil-spec. As others have recommended, I would suggest you build your own lower. You can pick up a stripped lower for less than $100, you get to hand pick you parts, and you get to learn a whole lot about your new rifle in the process. If you have any mechanical type skills at all, building a lower is a cinch. Check the stickies here, and you can also peruse the builders guide over at ar15.com to see how they go together.

You'll likely feel a whole lot better about your project if you do the work yourself, and if you hit any snags then the forums here are the right place to go to get straightened back out.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Okay so as I stated at first, I am new to these forums. So please let me know what the hell a sticky is and where I find them lol I have been searching and have no clue what or where they are... Also, in my research I found a place called large tactical, they seem pretty high priced for what I am looking at but also look to be of awesome quality, anyone know anything about them???

Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
Okay so as I stated at first, I am new to these forums. So please let me know what the hell a sticky is and where I find them lol I have been searching and have no clue what or where they are... Also, in my research I found a place called large tactical, they seem pretty high priced for what I am looking at but also look to be of awesome quality, anyone know anything about them???
At the top of the AR-15 discussion forum, before you get to the threads, there are a series of threads that are "stickied" to allow them to be read by anyone without searching. They all start with the word Sticky, followed by the thread title.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks king, I found them and have been reading constantly!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You won't have a problem pinning the BCM upper to a Spikes lower or any other mil-spec lower.

You can go as short as you want w/ the barrel as long as you pin some sort of muzzle devise to make the overall length 16" or more. I happen to be a big fan of 14,5" barrels w/ a pinned PWS556 or BattleComp 1.5.

Do you have a link for "Large Tactical"?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
You won't have a problem pinning the BCM upper to a Spikes lower or any other mil-spec lower.

You can go as short as you want w/ the barrel as long as you pin some sort of muzzle devise to make the overall length 16" or more. I happen to be a big fan of 14,5" barrels w/ a pinned PWS556 or BattleComp 1.5.

Do you have a link for "Large Tactical"?
I don't even know what "large tactical" is so not that I know of lol

Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was probably Larue Tactical, and yes, their stuff is awesome. In my opinion, they make the best Optic and Light Mounts around. Here's a link:

LaRue Tactical | The Dead Center of Precision

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Whoops, sorry about that, damn auto correct on my phone changed LaRue to large... But yeah, www.laruetactical.com is their website! Again, I apologize for the mix up!