AR-15 for first timer - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 for first timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55
Thanks for all the info, I would love to build my own, I think that would also help with my understanding of the weapon, I can field strip and clean my 1911 dang near upside down and in the dark, but aside from popping the back pin and opening the AR up, I'd be lost for a while! I am wanting to do some target shooting, but I also want to be able to take it out coyote hunting, or hog or anything else, not really sure if it would be a single use gun, I like to use mine for most everything. I saw the new M&P sport and like the bare bones look of it but not sure of the overall quality. I will let you all know when I start leaning one way or the other. Again thanks for the input!!!
I've been looking at the M&P myself. Smith makes some good weapons, but other than the M&P 15-22, I've heard almost no reviews at all. But, I've handled every AR that sportsman's warehouse carries, and I liked the feel and apparent quality of the M&P over all the others they had there. These included ruger, bushmaster, FN, Remington's R series, and at least 1 more that escapes me at the moment. I did notice that they had no Armalites though.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #12

I was also going to buy a complete rifle until a few members of the forum talked me in to building one of my own. All I can say is just start reading, join a few forums and ask questions, there is a lot of info out there if you decide to build your own.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
ARs are commonly referred to as carbines but what you're talking about is us referencing the length of the gas system.
Right, what is the difference besides length? Does one improve cycle rate or is it just contingent upon which type you need for length of rifle it what?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
Right, what is the difference besides length? Does one improve cycle rate or is it just contingent upon which type you need for length of rifle it what?
It changes cyclic rate and perceived recoil. The longer lengths will increase dwell time which in my experience softens recoil and in turn improves performance. Some say the longer lengths decrease wear and tear on the ARs internals as well.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I see, are there any downfalls to the longer length? I don't plan on clearing dwellings in Kabul anytime soon so maneuverability isn't that huge of an issue, but I would like something to start getting into some tactical shooting, one of my brothers-in-law was a marine corps firearms instructor so when I do get mine all together he and I are going to spend a few weeks doing some shooting situations...

Old 11-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Texas, longer length gas system or barrel length? Midlength gas on a 14.5-16" barrel has no real disadvantage.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
I see, are there any downfalls to the longer length? I don't plan on clearing dwellings in Kabul anytime soon so maneuverability isn't that huge of an issue, but I would like something to start getting into some tactical shooting, one of my brothers-in-law was a marine corps firearms instructor so when I do get mine all together he and I are going to spend a few weeks doing some shooting situations...
That mindset is a fail from the start. Get something that's GTG from the start. If not you'll be spending more in the long run fixing the problems that will surface once you start running it hard. If you plan on doing drills and the like you'll be glad you did.

My suggestion would be a mid-length DD, BCM, Spikes in that order w/ a quality RDS like an EoTech or Aimpoint H1/T1.

Barrel profile: LW or Standard (non M4) either will make for a better handling rifle due to better balance, i.e. the majority of the barrels weight isn't at the muzzle end.

Don't skimp on the bolt carrier group.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #18

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55
If maneuverability isn't an issue I'd go with a long barrel. If it's strictly a range gun. If you think you might hunt with it, I'd go just a tad shorter, you will appreciate it while moving through the woods. The only reason I see for a civilian to have a really short AR is just because they want one. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that the only advantage I see to a short one is the maneuverability. Well, it also makes it easier to stow when riding around a ranch or something, and a short barrel will still reach out and tag a coyote that's harassing livestock.

I'm sure there are other good reasons for a short barrel, and other folks will let me know.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1242 Times on 862 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

texasman55, that's good advice from mjkeat. He and I independently did builds like that early this year and that formula worked perfectly for both of us. It may cost a little more but I can guarantee that your brother-in-law will be impressed if he truly knows his stuff. If your budget doesn't allow it you can initially put off the RDS and just get the basic rifle done first. Actually I'm still in that stage, my DD rifle is top notch but I haven't made the step to a quality RDS like the Aimpoint H1.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 11-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
If maneuverability isn't an issue I'd go with a long barrel. If it's strictly a range gun. If you think you might hunt with it, I'd go just a tad shorter, you will appreciate it while moving through the woods. The only reason I see for a civilian to have a really short AR is just because they want one. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that the only advantage I see to a short one is the maneuverability. Well, it also makes it easier to stow when riding around a ranch or something, and a short barrel will still reach out and tag a coyote that's harassing livestock.

I'm sure there are other good reasons for a short barrel, and other folks will let me know.
If he's planing on running drills/training and such w/ his BIL he will curse the day he purchased anything longer than 16".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
texasman55, that's good advice from mjkeat. He and I independently did builds like that early this year and that formula worked perfectly for both of us. It may cost a little more but I can guarantee that your brother-in-law will be impressed if he truly knows his stuff. If your budget doesn't allow it you can initially put off the RDS and just get the basic rifle done first. Actually I'm still in that stage, my DD rifle is top notch but I haven't made the step to a quality RDS like the Aimpoint H1.
Quentin is correct and he has a high quality rifle to show for it.

Another guy by the screen name russ just finished a DD based build as well. Like he says in his thread if you don't have to shave the A2 FSP and have the minimul tools required building is a 2 hour +/- job.