AR-15 for first timer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 for first timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default AR-15 for first timer

Hello there FTF, I am new to these forums and new to the AR-15 platform in that I have never owned or fired one. I have handled many different varieties and sold several of them while working at a local Academy Sports, but now I am in the market for one. I am looking for one that would be a quality weapon but that isn't going to break the bank account. I want to use it mainly for recreational shooting and perhaps some light-medium game hunting. I know that you usually get what you pay for and am not afraid to spend upwards of 7-800 dollars for the gun as long as I am not missing out on some big sales or discounts. Any recommendation for a particular fun or manufacturer? Also, are there any that u should stay away from? Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

For your budget you can find more than a few in that range that will serve you well. How would you feel about building your own, or a partial build? Quite a few members here, myself included, too that route with much guidance from some very knowledgeable members. I'd bet the farm not one of us regrets it!

Take a look at the build stickies, read em' over then read em' again. After that look around at the major online retail sites and get a feel for what the rifles, whole or components are going for. Then come back and ask more questions, we are here to help.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

stag puts out quality rifles that run around 800 to 900/ mine was 900 out the door. also dpms, rock river arms, palmetto armory, daniel defense i hear are pretty good

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #4

As others have said, there are many good rifles in your price range, but building the lower and purchasing a complete upper is usually a good route too. What kind of rifle are you looking to get? Carbine, rifle or something more for target shooting? That will help us help you.

Along with the manufacturers that others have mentioned, in my opinion, for your price range, you would be hard pressed that find a better rifle than a Spike's Tactical.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the info, I would love to build my own, I think that would also help with my understanding of the weapon, I can field strip and clean my 1911 dang near upside down and in the dark, but aside from popping the back pin and opening the AR up, I'd be lost for a while! I am wanting to do some target shooting, but I also want to be able to take it out coyote hunting, or hog or anything else, not really sure if it would be a single use gun, I like to use mine for most everything. I saw the new M&P sport and like the bare bones look of it but not sure of the overall quality. I will let you all know when I start leaning one way or the other. Again thanks for the input!!!

Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My thoughts. I have 2 AR`s set up for coyote hunting. My first requirement is no frount sight. One of them wears a 3 x 9 Leupold and after years of carring it I findly shot at a coyote with it set on something other than 3X. The other wear a lazer sight and is my nite hunting gun. I also do not like those colapsable stocks.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

At that price range I'll say Spikes as well. They are quality yet not overly expensive. Aimsurplus.com usually has the best prices on Spikes uppers and stripped lowers. Palmettostatearmory.com has great prices on lower build kits to finish the assembly.

Palmetto also has upper and lowers that have been getting good reviews.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Okay, I have seen several posts on wee from you guys about the differences in rifle and carbine, this is probably just my uneducated self talking, but I was under the impression that all of the AR-15 platforms were carbine rifles... I would appreciate a little clarification on this before I begin looking at building one and get some totally wrong parts. Thanks in advance! And feel free to dog on the new guy a little, it'd feel more like home and I can definitely handle it!

Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #9

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have the sport and love it

Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

ARs are commonly referred to as carbines but what you're talking about is us referencing the length of the gas system.