Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 DI vs. Piston

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear you on that, I will have to make a parts list I guess and do the math.

Let me run this by everyone for quality brands. This is what I've come up with as name brands. Stag, Bravo, Colt, Palmetto, RRA, and LMT. So after all my time reading threads, if I stick with these brands, I should have a quality gun right?

I've been looking at guns and was at a gun show in Dallas and come across a brand called SOG armory. Now like I said I'm a newb to AR platform but these looked like nice guns. Has anyone heard of this brand or is this one I should forget and stick with the names I mentioned earlier.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Supporting Member

Liked 1795 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Okie,

Let us put your mind to rest regarding cleaning supplies.
We have spoke about an excellent AR Lubricant here on the FTF in the past. I will give you the formula that I use and we have used at the State Academy for the AR Patrol Rifle Instructor Certification Course for the past 10+ years. You may chuckle, but it is simple and some of the best AR and M-16 Lube you could ever want.
First go to Wal-Mart or an RC Airplane/Car Shop and get one of the red plastic containers you put RC Fuel in or a 2 Cycle Gas container at Wal-Mart. All it needs to hold is a quart and a half!
Here is the formula:

1 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic 15W50 Motor Oil
1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Put them both in the container and shake it up! You now have a whole Quart and a Half of the best lubricant you could ever buy for the AR Rifle! It will not cook of as well as protects the parts and the Trans Fluid has just enough detergent in it to keep the carbon down when using the rifle! And compared to what it would cost you for a quart and a half of regular gun lube it is very, very inexpensive!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51
the first time I saw a BCG taken with bare hands out of a "just fired, still smokin'" piston rifle...well let's just say I was sold.

But I have the luxury of owning both. Otherwise, I'd prob just have a DI.
That's what I was thinking when I heard about the piston AR. I was was under the impression that the DI guns would gunk up and cause problems after 500 rounds or so. Really wasn't wanting a gun I was going to have to tear down every time I shot it. Thanks for the info, I am planning on getting 2 guns I know I going DI but I might try and get a piston driven on down the road.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Okie,

1 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic 15W50 Motor Oil
1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Put them both in the container and shake it up! You now have a whole Quart and a Half of the best lubricant you could ever buy for the AR Rifle! It will not cook of as well as protects the parts and the Trans Fluid has just enough detergent in it to keep the carbon down when using the rifle! And compared to what it would cost you for a quart and a half of regular gun lube it is very, very inexpensive!

Thanks sniper03, that sounds like it would work and will give it a go.

You know I don't have any ideal what a SHTF will actually be and I hope it don't happen. I'm just trying to be prepared, I can see with my own eyes things are changing and it is not looking good. Just want to get this done before they outlaw firearms altogether.