Ar-15 dented primers but not firing. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-15 dented primers but not firing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Sorry. I definitely think the hammer follow is the only explanation. Is there anything you can do to stop the sear from releasing the hammer until the bolt is seated? I sure don't want to stop bump firing but I also don't want to blow off my face. I'd say these wants are about equal though? I know that a lot of firearms have systems to stop the gun from firing when at all out of battery. And once again, thanks for your constructive posts.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6348 Times on 3365 Posts
Likes Given: 469

There is. Its called an auto sear but installing one in a post 86 non - machine gun receiver will get ya a stay in the federal pokey. Anything like that , a piece of metal string chewing gum etc acting in such a fashion is a federal crime.

Only choice that keeps you of jail is live without bumpfiring or risk an accident or spring the cash for a legal full auto

Psl rifles have a device that preventsfiring out of battery. But those were deemed illegal by the batfe and you wont find any here in the states. All the psl in america are made with american recievers without the out of battery device. So if you add one to an ar15 or ak47 or any other semi your manufacturing a machine gun without a license

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-06-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Edited for being condescending.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Todd_; 04-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittsam159
Sorry. I definitely think the hammer follow is the only explanation. Is there anything you can do to stop the sear from releasing the hammer until the bolt is seated? I sure don't want to stop bump firing but I also don't want to blow off my face. I'd say these wants are about equal though? I know that a lot of firearms have systems to stop the gun from firing when at all out of battery. And once again, thanks for your constructive posts.
I disagree. I do NOT think hammer follow is whats happening here. If that was the case, then everyone with a slide fire stock would be having the same problem. I DO have a slide fire stock, 4 of my shooting buddies also have them, we shoot them often, and i can assure you after 20,000 bump fired rds between the 5 of us so far, that this has not been an issue. Not even once.

You have a semi auto, which means you have a disconnector that holds the hammer to the rear until the trigger is released. The hammer then travels forward a slight amount until it comes back to rest against the sear, and remains there until the trigger is pressed again. Thats how it operates in a semi auto. Bump firing is still semi auto. So unless your disconnector is worn or filed off, you cannot physically release the trigger fast enough to allow the hammer to ride the bolt forward. However, if your disconnector was worn or filed off, it wouldnt really be semi auto anymore and would warrant yourself a stay in the federal pokey if it were discovered by the athorities. Fwiw, i dont think this is your problem either.

Another cause of light primer strikers would be worn or broken firing pin and/or worn or broken hammer spring. However, if either of these were your problem, you would be having light primer strikes whether you were bump firing or not. I would rule this out also, but a quick looksee at the parts wouldnt hurt.

I sincerely suspect that your problem is ammo related. Bump firing has the potential to wear out parts at an accelerated rate, but if your rifle is milspec, then it should be able to handle much much more than a little bump firing.

If you have swapped out anything for performance parts, such as a titanium firing pin or a lightened hammer or stuff like that for whatever competitive reasons you may have, then please disregard everything ive just said.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #25

And to all of the guys who dont understand why anyone would want to bump fire, let me break it down for you...

All the fun of a class III
No outrageous price to pay for the weapon
No federal paperwork
no permits required
No bull$hit to deal with
TONS of fun
Basically we get to shoot full auto without having to pay for it.

Joining the military just to shoot full auto would be like getting married just to have sex.

If you can afford to feed a gun while bump firing, you are not worried about accuracy. When we want to make every shot count, we get out one of our other guns. You guys all have more than one right???

Old 04-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6927 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 6665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy00 View Post
And to all of the guys who dont understand why anyone would want to bump fire, let me break it down for you...

All the fun of a class III
No outrageous price to pay for the weapon
No federal paperwork
no permits required
No bull$hit to deal with
TONS of fun
Basically we get to shoot full auto without having to pay for it.

Joining the military just to shoot full auto would be like getting married just to have sex.

If you can afford to feed a gun while bump firing, you are not worried about accuracy. When we want to make every shot count, we get out one of our other guns. You guys all have more than one right???
And you find something wrong with that???

Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

And you find something wrong with that???
Absolutely not. It was an explanation of why we bump fire to the people who dont understand. I think it makes perfect sense.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6927 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 6665

I guess I've fired enough rounds from enough different full auto weapons that that it isn't a novelty to me anymore, so I look at bump firing in a slightly different light from those who have not done so.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #29

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I guess I've fired enough rounds from enough different full auto weapons that that it isn't a novelty to me anymore, so I look at bump firing in a slightly different light from those who have not done so.
Gotta agree with you. Full auto is primarily a suppression tactic, and you don't carry a truck load of ammunition with you. If he likes bump firing, that's great for him.
I just prefer to send my rounds down range to a target, and make them count.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #30

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby

Gotta agree with you. Full auto is primarily a suppression tactic, and you don't carry a truck load of ammunition with you. If he likes bump firing, that's great for him.
I just prefer to send my rounds down range to a target, and make them count.
One shot one kill that's the way to go. But like you said full auto or bump firing is grate for suppression. I know I wouldn't won't to stick my head up if a wall of lead was flying at me.