Ar-15 dented primers but not firing.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-15 dented primers but not firing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Ar-15 dented primers but not firing.

This only happens when bump firing. The primers are dented but do not detonate and it happens about 4 times per mag. Anybody had the same problem? Are there any upgrades I can do to fix it so it will bump fire more reliably?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2016

heavier hammer spring possibly , try different ammo and see if it does the same thing . timing may be off a bit, bolt not closed all the way when the hammer hits causing it to ride the carrier and causing a light strike . Head space issue but I doubt that one . .
Got a pic of the light struck primer ?

Second option
Dont bump fire it

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

Are you absolutely sure its not the ammo? Usually when a primer is dented, the round will fire. Unless youre talking about a light primer strike which ive never encountered in my ar. I would try a different brand of ammo first before buying any parts.

I know its not the same as your problem but i cannot run tula ammo in mine. It does not have enough power to cycle the bolt and leave the empty inside the chamber. All ammunition is not created equal.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Post a pic of the "dent". It sounds like it may be the typical small mark made by the non-spring loaded firing pin. If you are bump firing you may be releasing the hammer before the bolt is locked. The AR is made to not fire out of battery so the hammer is not even hitting the firing pin.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #5

Don't have any pics of the dented primers I'll take a pic when I shoot this weekend of I can get out. It happened with Remington .223 and federal 5.56 so I really hope its not the ammo lol. The primers have serious dents in them not small marks. They look about the same as the fired rounds, I was think maybe the hammer is following the bolt back until it's closed and hitting the primer but without enough speed to detonate but enough power to dent? Does this sound possible? Also probably not headspace as it only happens bump firing and the gun has more than a few thousand rounds through it.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

Robo cop that sounds like it could be right. The primer dent looks to be as deep as the successful rounds though so idk. I know I'm not the only one bump firing so there must be a way to fix this.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #7

Liked 2454 Times on 1592 Posts

I find a dented primer anytime I cycle a round (dpms) then eject it without firing. Being the nervous type, I showed it to the dealer and they said the same about the floating firing pin. Still makes me a little nervous.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've heard of a guy using large pistol primers by accident when reloading and ended up dumping a mag. I think alot of semi centrefires can slighty dent the primer when the bolt slams home. So this guy having loaded pistol instead of rifle primers got quite a fright!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

Here's an easy way to fix it:

Stop bump firing.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5697 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 5104

First, why on earth would you "bump fire???"
If the weapon fires normally in normal firing, you don't have a problem.

Winston Churchill