AR-15 Cycling & Operation Discussion - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Cycling & Operation Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1146 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Interesting old thread, fsted2a, I'd forgotten it. Glad to hear the piston mod worked out well! You never know until you fire it and get lots of various rounds downrange.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #42

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Q,
I think this is the first thread you and I had posts on together. Yeah, I wanted to make sure the guys AR wasn't a picky eater. I had a grab bag of ammo, I know at least 3 rounds were wolf, the rest not sure, a bunch of mixed ammo. Pretty tight shot group considering. The AR had a mixed bag of parts too, some bushmaster, some J-T, some not sure. The Osprey piston works like a charm.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah it brings back memories, at the time I thought we'd have an argument over piston vs. DI but everyone acted like gentlemen and we all learned something!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah it brings back memories, at the time I thought we'd have an argument over piston vs. DI but everyone acted like gentlemen and we all learned something!
Yeah, there are guys who let their emotions get the better of them, and get personal with these issues. Last year Billt and Mjkeat kinda went overboard. I think both are highly knowledgable in certain aspects, but sometimes are so adamant when their opinions clash that they can't just agree to disagree. Anyway, I think the Osprey system has an advantage over some of the other drop in pistons in that it doesn't take too much to slide it under milspec or other smaller hand guards. This AR with a 16 inch barrel had triangle hand guards, and I don't think anyone elses piston setup would have worked.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #45

A guy who got referred to me by a Soldier in my terminal assignment unit (I'm retired now by the way) brought me his AR along with a Blackthorne (ugh!) piston kit he is wanting me to install. I'm charging him $100 bucks up front with no warranty because of their poor track record (they didn't put a warranty on their product, so I am not going to guarantee it either). If I can get it to work, I will post a range report. Looks a lot like Adams Arms kit from appearance. I am probably going to be kinda slow on this one because:1. I gotta take the FSB off, and it's pinned. 2. I gotta get to the range to test fire it. Gas too expensive these days, and I gotta make multipurpose trips. Looking at the instructions, it says not to fire reloads, imports, blanks, or steel ammo through the system, which is exactly what I intend to do. I don't have a lot of faith in this one guys. Wish me luck.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

"Blackthorne (ugh!)" ... I certainly agree! I hope it's actually a rebadged Adams instead of actually a Blackthorne design. And I hope they put all the Adams parts in the box! I'm surprised they haven't retired that name and popped up with a new one. Hmmm, Vulcan and Hesse have been used, what to use, what to use!

Nice to see this old thread again, fsted2A
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #47

Actually appears to be parts from a previous generation Adams Arms kit. I would have to have them together for comparison, but all appearances lean that way.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #48

I'm really concerned about the pinned FSB. First time I removed one I dicked up the barrel pretty bad. I did OK on my last one because I lucked out and had a hydraulic press available, but I don't on this one, just a hammer and punch. I already warned the Soldier about it, so he better not bitch if it has a few scratches.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #49

Ok; finally got around to getting the FSB off. Spent better part of a day with hammer and punch. After that, was just a matter of a few minutes to put the kit in. I went to Knob Creek to test fire it, and the Soldier came along with a few mags of Tula ammo. I put it on the middle position because the instructions said do that with lower grade ammo. It fired and cycled ok, which surprised the hell out of me considering the manufacturer. My guess is it is like Q said, Blackthorne probably got a deal on some first generation Adams Arms kits and covered up the name. Here are the parts that are interchangeable with Adams Arms: Bolt Carrier, hand guards, hand guard cap, bolt spring. I have attached a review of the different types of piston systems I have installed on AR 15's for comparison. The colors indicate which ones the bolt carriers will work with each other's system. All the ones I have installed have been pretty reliable (we won't know about Blackthorne until the Soldier puts a few thousand rounds down range), and have dispelled some of the BS that folks have been putting out for years. They are a little heavier, but unless you are rucking up in the mountains of Afghanistan or something like that, you probably won't notice the weight difference. I have yet to notice any "carrier tilt" from any of the systems I have installed. Are they worth the extra money? Only the individual shooter can answer that question for himself. I personally enjoyed putting them together, so before I sent round one downrange on each one, I felt I got my money's worth.
File Type: jpg Scan_Pic0001.jpg (24.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by fsted2a; 06-22-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Quentin Likes This