AR-15 Cycling & Operation Discussion - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Cycling & Operation Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[quote=fsted2a;436263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What is your MOS and duty station?

I'm not trying to be a prick but I'm a little confused as to why our experiences are so different. I'm just trying to put the info together. If my experiences were somehow out of the norm Id like to adjust my outlook accordingly.

I am a 63X. Been in Infantry, Armor, Cav, Eng, Chem, IT, CSH, FSP, FST units. Basically wherever Uncle Sugar sends me. The units I go to vary a lot. Most of the time I have been at places that have vietnam or earlier gear, so we end up looking like the Bad News Bears when we go somewhere to train. A while back I decided to just start accumilating my own field gear so I wouldn't have to depend on the unit to have stuff that was serviceable.
Most Soldiers, including myself, will never have to walk the mile you traveled. We only need the basic M4 with a few mags. I am currently in a CSH, which is not allowed to carry anything other than a M16/M4 or a 9MM. No machine guns. But when our guys can be just as dead when we go outside the wire. And when the sh** hits the fan, our troops need to be able to respond with auto fire if necessary, and use the rifle as a light machine gun for a short time.
You guys in the 10th Mountain are a different sort, and need different gear than the rest of us, including dedicated machine guns. For the rest of us not rucking it for days or weeks on end, one 5.56 gun should do the trick if it is a good one.
I honestly didn't mean to turn this into a pissing contest. We all have a very important place in todays military.

I just cant seem to make since out of strapping Betta mags on my RBA. It would make it almost impossible to perform many of the tasks a soldier must do. Such as going prone, one of the very few +s to being a SAW gunner on long patrols. I cant imagine a slung weapon utilizing a Betta mag would be very comfortable either. Good luck to the guy trying to lay down suppressive fire with normal 30 rd mags.

Its awesome that your unit will allow you to field your own gear. We had to have everything exactly like the guy next to us in the exact location, secured in the exact way down to the length of 550 cord and knot used to tie it off. No ifs ands or buts. I might still be in if given those freedoms. Its also sad that they stick you all w/ outdated gear. Actually its BS.

You're teams dont have a SAW gunner? Each team had a SAW and each platoon had a 240B w/ gunner and ammo barer.

63x, track repair? Thats a dirty dang job. Our Humvee mechanics had a rough life in country. I dont envy you guys at all. Tough flip'n job. Hats off to you.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #32

Liked 260 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 398

[quote=mjkeat;436276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post

I honestly didn't mean to turn this into a pissing contest. We all have a very important place in todays military.

I just cant seem to make since out of strapping Betta mags on my RBA. It would make it almost impossible to perform many of the tasks a soldier must do. Such as going prone, one of the very few +s to being a SAW gunner on long patrols. I cant imagine a slung weapon utilizing a Betta mag would be very comfortable either. Good luck to the guy trying to lay down suppressive fire with normal 30 rd mags.

Its awesome that your unit will allow you to field your own gear. We had to have everything exactly like the guy next to us in the exact location, secured in the exact way down to the length of 550 cord and knot used to tie it off. No ifs ands or buts. I might still be in if given those freedoms. Its also sad that they stick you all w/ outdated gear. Actually its BS.

You're teams dont have a SAW gunner? Each team had a SAW and each platoon had a 240B w/ gunner and ammo barer.

63x, track repair? Thats a dirty dang job. Our Humvee mechanics had a rough life in country. I dont envy you guys at all. Tough flip'n job. Hats off to you.
No SAW; illegal for hospitals, even for support MOS. Geneva Convention. The "X" in my mos is for supervisor, but I did work on them when I was a private and some later on. You're right. Nasty job.
I know about INF wanting to be dress-right-dress. But a lot of units I have been in get the scrapings off the dinner plate with regarding to funding for stuff they need. We got shut off for unit patches before they start issueing the service blue uniform, so Soldiers either buy out of their pocket, or go sleeves bare on the uniform. And the Air Force is crying because they can't get their trillion dollar new stealth toys.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[quote=fsted2a;436296]
Quote:

No SAW; illegal for hospitals, even for support MOS. Geneva Convention. The "X" in my mos is for supervisor, but I did work on them when I was a private and some later on. You're right. Nasty job.
I know about INF wanting to be dress-right-dress. But a lot of units I have been in get the scrapings off the dinner plate with regarding to funding for stuff they need. We got shut off for unit patches before they start issueing the service blue uniform, so Soldiers either buy out of their pocket, or go sleeves bare on the uniform. And the Air Force is crying because they can't get their trillion dollar new stealth toys.
I guess they weren't joking when they said, we (11Bs), were the rock stars of the Army. I kinda understand why 11B soldiers get the good stuff but also feel everyone should have adequate equipment.

I live in a city w/ a good sized AF base. They are deffinately a different kinda breed. Almost bashed a AF kids head in one night at a bar for running his mouth about his "actions" overseas. I was on leave four days after returning to the U.S.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #34

[quote=mjkeat;436301]
Quote:

I guess they weren't joking when they said, we (11Bs), were the rock stars of the Army. I kinda understand why 11B soldiers get the good stuff but also feel everyone should have adequate equipment.
When I was in Korea at the 2-9 INF, we took care of each other. After completing the Manchu the 2nd time, the 11B's claimed me as their own. I took care of their heaters and Bradley's in the winter, and I never paid for beer. Yes you are the rock stars.
Well, the mission comes first. Those sending rounds downrange need the lions share. I get frustrated though, when after going 6 months without being able to fire a single round in between, my junior ranking Soldiers are expected to qualify on their weapon without re-firing. It usually takes them 20-30 rounds of familiarization to settle down the trigger jerk enough to get a good zero.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #35

All,
I am going off the site for a while; not going to have internet access for a few weeks due to move. I have enjoyed sharing different opinions regarding the DI vs Piston cycling debate. To those on either side of the debate, please respect the other's opinions. I have both, and both have their advantages and both have issues. And military personnel have their experiences; we should all share those with the group so the others will have an understanding of our perspective. Take your kid to the range and teach him or her to be a safe shooter. Have fun.
Ed

Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My ex R.I. Plt. Sarg. filled us in on the Manchu. Good stories from a guy who had so many jumps his hips were displaced.

Something needs to be done about getting the proper tools to ALL soldiers.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Something needs to be done about getting the proper tools to ALL soldiers.
Agreed on that. One less F22 or JSF should hook everyone up.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Agreed on that. One less F22 or JSF should hook everyone up.
sounds like a plan

Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #39

The Obama deficite has caused this and other needed improvements to be put aside for the forseeable future. I didn't see it happening in my career anyway. Here is a look at what some of the SF units get issued:

http://militarytimes.com/static/projects/flash/2007_02_20_carbine/2007_02_20_Hnk416.swf

Old 02-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #40

Had a buddy at work asked me to install a Osprey piston system in his AR last week. I followed the instructions to the letter, but when I tried to manually cycle the linkage, it felt like it was binding. I lubed it, and it still felt the same. I figured what the hell, put my helmet, safety glasses and insulated coveralls on in case it blew up on me, and we put a few rounds in and shot it. Worked beautifully and cycled every round. We used several brands of ammo; no problem. Even cycled blanks without a hiccup. Cool beans.
Quentin Likes This