Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar 15 custom jobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ar 15 custom jobs

Bought an ar 15 and i would like to know what i can do with it. I shoot alot of jackals so i shoot at night. Here is the ar 15 i bought. Please send photos of what you have done with yours b

image-3273455136.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #2

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Jackals? Where are you?

That may determine a lot of what you can and can't do based on availability of parts and people who do work on ARs.

ARs are pretty easy to work on yourself but you would need some basic tools as well as some specific tools. Then access to parts. For night shooting I would look into a flat top upper, a floated barrel of slightly heavier profile and an ability to use heavier bullets. If you are shooting inside 300 meters a 16 inch barrel would get you enough reach. I would look into a 16 stainless match barrel with 1:8 rifling twist that allows use of bullets up to 77gr. Then with the flat top you would have an option for night vision scopes if they are available in your area, and legal for use when hunting.

I can't say I would be aware of the hunting restrictions on Jackals in your area.

A bit more info and we may be able to give you better and more detailed advice.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 08-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Jackals? Where are you?

That may determine a lot of what you can and can't do based on availability of parts and people who do work on ARs.

ARs are pretty easy to work on yourself but you would need some basic tools as well as some specific tools. Then access to parts. For night shooting I would look into a flat top upper, a floated barrel of slightly heavier profile and an ability to use heavier bullets. If you are shooting inside 300 meters a 16 inch barrel would get you enough reach. I would look into a 16 stainless match barrel with 1:8 rifling twist that allows use of bullets up to 77gr. Then with the flat top you would have an option for night vision scopes if they are available in your area, and legal for use when hunting.

I can't say I would be aware of the hunting restrictions on Jackals in your area.

A bit more info and we may be able to give you better and more detailed advice.
Im from south africa and i don't need a permit to hunt jackals. I use light-force scope mounted spotlights with dimmers on it. The average distance i shoot at night is about 200m

Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #4

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

OK.

Well that makes sense then. I'm not sure what parts you can get shipped down there due to export restrictions on some gun related items. But for medium to large dog sized game I think a barrel taht will handle heavier bullets would be the first priority, then a flat top receiver would help you get the scope on a lower plane for easier cheek weld along with getting it closer to bore line.

My Coyote rig uses a 16" stainless match barrel with 1:8 twist and I like to use 64 Gr Power points or Barnes Triple shock bullets.

I don't hunt coyotes at night so I have a Nikon 3-9x scope. (Here in the States, some states will allow night hunting and others don't)

It makes for a fairly portable package that has enough reach and accuracy to hit dog sized targets out to 300 yds. Here we tend to call them in with calls designed to sound like other coyotes or wounded small game animals. Then move from one calling position to another, so portability becomes a nice thing to have.

This is an older pic before the Nikon scope.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i have posted pics of mine before but here it is again. I love it. its so fun to shoot.

mpar15.jpg  

Fire for effect!