Ar-15 class III build
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-15 class III build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 18 Posts

Default Ar-15 class III build

Looking to build a rifle with a short barrel 8-10 inches. And a thread on suppressor, with a handgaurd/rails that come 2-4 inches shy of the end of the suppressor. Im no ar expert and im new to the platform. So ill need help on what i should get. This picture is the closest i could find on what i want.

Also anyone familiar with the sig mpx carbine is what im trying to recreate on a .223.

Thanks for the help!imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1397689998.826357.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Before you do anything you need your sbr stamp and a properly marked lower reciever.

Once you get that done THEN you can build out your rifle.

I would suggest build it out as a pistol while your waiting on the stamp.

At 8-10" a 223/556 is going to have about the same power level as a 22wmr... pretty wimpy. I would go 300blk or use a pistol caliber upper.

Rra is what I would source the lower from and everything else bravo company usa.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-16-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I agree with jon on the choice of round being wimpy you should definitly think about 300 blk that round was designed for short barrel/suppressor use. Either that or use a pistol caliber like 9mm

Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 AM   #4

Could you give me velocity on 556/223 on a 10 inch barrel? Trying to find charts online but nada. Im not looking to go past 100 yards with rifle. Uses for this rifle are gonna be cqb drills. And plinking at distances of 50 yards in.

As you remember from my other post the mpx carbine prob wont be sold legally. If they will it wont be for some time. So i wanna have something on the back burner in the mean time, just in case.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Muzzle velocity is around 2300-2400fps right at the muzzle and drops rapidly as the barrel length decreases down to about 1800fps at 5".

What this means is the 223/556 loses pretty much all of its ability to stop threats reliably and probably will have issues stabilizing in such short barrels at such low velocity.

Its the same issues faced by the fn5.7

This is using milspec ammo. Most off the shelf ammo won't be loaded to that standard so performance may be worse.

223 bullets bleed energy very fast terrible ballistics and they make up for that with speed. So by the time the bullet drops to useless 2300ish fps velocity its several hundred yards down range. When it comes out of a short barrel your waaaay behind the curve before its gone an inch down range and bleeding energy and velocity skippy quick.

For what your looking to do 9mm or 40sw upper would be ideal. I would lean 9mm as its got better dowrange velocity than a 40 less recoil and mags are easier to get if you go with a rra upper.

9mm can be loaded hot for a sbr especially out of a 10" barrel its a nasty little bugger.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-17-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #6

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Interesting thread. Doesn't the OP need TWO stamps? One for the SBR, and one for the suppressor?
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Interesting thread. Doesn't the OP need TWO stamps? One for the SBR, and one for the suppressor?

Yupp.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #8

Any mags out there that look like an AR mag but hold 9mm? I cant get past the goofy looking stick mags on the market for 9mm ars.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I felt the same way seeing the 9mm stick mags in pics online. 9mm Uzi mags don't look bad at all in person in an ar. I have been doing some r&d on a 5.5" 9mm suppressed AR pistol for a local manufacturer. If you have a chance to see one in person, I think you won't feel the same way. Next time I am working on it I will get some pics.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter View Post
I felt the same way seeing the 9mm stick mags in pics online. 9mm Uzi mags don't look bad at all in person in an ar. I have been doing some r&d on a 5.5" 9mm suppressed AR pistol for a local manufacturer. If you have a chance to see one in person, I think you won't feel the same way. Next time I am working on it I will get some pics.
Thanks would be much appreciated!!