AR-15 Build Advice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 Build Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Manley View Post
To the OP.
Make sure the barrel steel is 4150, the bbl, bcg is MPI and HPT tested (denoted by a HP,MP stamp) and that if you are going to go with a 16" upper that the bolt has a five coil extractor spring, black insert and "o" ring around the spring. Also make sure that the Chamber is 556 Nato.

-DM-
Just out of curiousity....what if an upper did not have all of that in it? Would it be any less of a gun, would it self destruct, would it not be that talk of the range, I don't understand.

Not everyone who buys an AR will be going to war with it, and most will not be using it in their line of work, tools of the trade. I realize for those who do, those specs might be things that have proven more reliable - or less problematic for some pieces out there, but are hardly the 'requirements' for a good gun.

To the original poster, I have put kits together from several companies, but I can't say that I have tried anything from the one you listed. I did look at their site and their prices seem to be in line with a few of the others out there. So basically it comes down to finding a kit that will suit your needs and the depth of your wallet. Also you might want to inquire about shipping times, as most of the companies out there are backed up quite a bit, some out to 6 months. So you may want to keep that in mind, too.

Another option is to keep an eye out for some of the companies that have complete uppers, complete lowers, etc. I know, it's not a kit, but if you want one sooner than later, that might be the way to go. One that I have had great luck with, even during this time of craziness, has been these folks:

PK link

One thing I do like about them, they have been great with customer service, excellent shipping times, and what they show on their site - they have in stock. So you never find yourself getting excited about something and ordering it, only to find that you are looking at a 4-6 month wait, and oh...they forgot to tell you that they already charged your card. No, I don't work for them, but I will highly recommend them to anyone.

Another one is:

ar15sales.com

Pete is great to deal with. Hint...know what you are looking for if you call or email him, as he is very busy. And know that because of all the business he gets, shipping could be a wait. But like PK, his service is excellent, and his prices are hard to beat.

Hope this helps.

Slo

Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #12

Thank you very much slowryde45, that information was very useful, I'll be sure to look into those sites you listed there. I actually found out recently that there is a Bushmaster retail outlet thirty minutes away from my house, so I plan on swinging by there and checking out what they are charging for parts. I think if anything I will purchase the lower from them and piece the rest of the kit as I go, although I am wary to wait too long just in case there is some kind of ban.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer756 View Post
Thank you very much slowryde45, that information was very useful, I'll be sure to look into those sites you listed there. I actually found out recently that there is a Bushmaster retail outlet thirty minutes away from my house, so I plan on swinging by there and checking out what they are charging for parts. I think if anything I will purchase the lower from them and piece the rest of the kit as I go, although I am wary to wait too long just in case there is some kind of ban.
You are welcome, glad to help. Sounds like you are in an ideal location there with Bushmaster being so close. Although some will bash them, I have never had any issues with any Bushmaster product. But I'm sure there will be a few who will cite all the problems they have had, but at what percentage of the total production? Those are the ones who have read somewhere about some guy who knew someone else, who heard it from a super reliable but unverifiable source, etc, etc.

Sounds like you have it all planned out. Doing it that way, you get to decide on what products you want in it, and the biggest plus...you get to learn how to put it together and take it apart. That way, should you ever have a problem, you can fix it yourself, and you also know what it will take to upgrade components as you go along.

By the way, the second link I gave you, to ar15sales.com, their company - Legal Transfers - is located right up there in your neck of the woods, too - in New Hampshire. So you have another source, close to home.

Good luck on your new hobby and keep us informed on how things are going.

Slo

Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #14

Look around and build your own. you will have to buy the tools but after you build one you will need them again trust me.