AR-15 Build Advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Build Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Build Advice

Hey everyone, I stumbled upon your forum while doing some research on building my first AR-15. I know there is plenty of posts about this asking for help, which I have been reading, but I have a question of opinion on a particular site that I found that sells kits for AR-15 builds. They put everything in a kit, minus the lower of course, and sell it. I was wondering if there prices were fair for what they are selling, because I'm new to this I really don't know. I'm really excited to get working on this, but I do want to take the time to get my research down before I start, and to get the right price because money is tight lately. Anyway, here is the site that I mentioned, you can click on the various kits that they offer. I am particularly interested in the "20" HBAR Rifle Kit" and the "Lightweight Rifle Kit". What do you guys think? Thanks for any help guys, I appreciate it!

M-16 and AR-15 Rifle kit Parts From Military manufacturers

Nathan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What is it that you expect the rifle to do for you? Most people can do what they want with a 16" carbine, as it offers the highest level of versatility and will accurately deliver lead out past 300 meters.

As far as that site goes, I've never used them, nor do I know of anyone who has. Their basic packages seem like okay deals, but prices seem to go up pretty rapidly as you start to add mall ninja type goodies.

I'd shop around too see of you couldn't piece together your own rifle for less. Seems to me that you should be able to save $100 or so by DIYing the shopping.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I pretty much want to rifle for accurate shooting at the range, and as a defensive carbine, so 300 meters would be fine for my purposes I suppose. I certainly will shop around, I just like the convenience of the kits that they offer. And yes, I did notice that the "bells and whistles" do really increase the price quite a bit as you go. I plan on assembling a very basic and simple rifle to start with, and adding more advanced options down the road.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, I am no expert, nor do I play one on line.

I have never dealt with the AR-Parts-Kit-Incorporated that you linked. One thing I noticed is that while their prices go up as you add options, their prices on the upgrades are not THAT bad given the kit.

For example:

YHM CAR solid 4 Rail forearm tube (+$114.00)

Most of the 4 rail systems from Yankee Hill Machine run in excess $130 dollars, plus shipping, plus you have to install them yourself. So in that instance, you are getting a deal.

With Badger GEN 2 Tactical Latch (+$20.50)

Badger Ord makes one of the best tactical charging handles for AR's in my opinion and it's going to cost you $20 plus shipping to get one, so this isn't a bad deal.

Magpul CTR Stock add (+$99.00)

Great unit: It's going to cost you $90-$100 plus shipping IF you can find it in stock anywhere, plus you need the tool to install it correctly - so you make the call.

So, I don't know if they are giving you the same quality, correctly assembled, correctly timed, correctly headspaces unit that we would give you from our shop - but they aren't outright gouging you either...

So, take that information for what it's worth. Building your own is ALWAYS the best way to go, even in these trying times....

JD

Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #5

Thanks for your two cents Dillinger. I've got plenty of time to figure what exactly I want, but I think I'd be better off saving as much money as possible to get exactly what I want in the rifle I intend on building, rather than just going ahead with some basic package that some site offers. I definitely want to deal with a retailer that offers quality products, so again, taking my time is probably the way to go.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, that is probably the responsible choice. There are a couple of great threads done by our existing members, and I am here if you need semi pro help ( ) so feel free to post as you progress...

JD

Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

like mine!
haha
keep us posted and keep asking those questions

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I really have no idea what I'm talking about. I spent quite a few years using the AR platform in a professional manner and as such, I despise them.

JD on the other hand, knows his stuff pretty well from what I've seen.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #9

Haha, alright guys, I'll be sure to ask for help when I need it, thanks a lot!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #10

To the OP.
Make sure the barrel steel is 4150, the bbl, bcg is MPI and HPT tested (denoted by a HP,MP stamp) and that if you are going to go with a 16" upper that the bolt has a five coil extractor spring, black insert and "o" ring around the spring. Also make sure that the Chamber is 556 Nato.

-DM-