AR 15 build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR 15 build

Well I finished a AK 47 build with my son and now he wants to do an AR 15 build. I found a simple Kit for around $ 500 everything included except the lower receiver. What I would like to do is buy the cheaper AR and as funds come available let my son replace the cheaper parts and let him customize it. Good or bad idea? It is AR-15kits.com which I am not familiar with.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1199 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has a good kit available.

Otherwise make sure of the brand of the parts you are buying.

As long as the stripped lower is mil-spec, you should be good to go.

But do your homework on the specs of the barrel and the bolt carrier group, these need to be of high quality.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

PSA
Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts and Accessories

BCM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I put an AR kit in the shopping cart on PSA's site for just under 700. A little dream shopping. You can see the info on "PSA build to order" thread.

They get great reviews, and they're cheap, that's why I've been thinking about them.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #5

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFlCracker View Post
Well I finished a AK 47 build with my son and now he wants to do an AR 15 build. I found a simple Kit for around $ 500 everything included except the lower receiver. What I would like to do is buy the cheaper AR and as funds come available let my son replace the cheaper parts and let him customize it. Good or bad idea? It is AR-15kits.com which I am not familiar with.
I'd say bad idea. I'd skip the cheapest kits and build a better rifle starting from day one. These kits are cheap because they slap together the cheapest parts and as you get up to speed later you'll find you're paying double to replace them yet still have problems. Why have to replace parts later, you'll just end up putting back together the cheap rifle and trying to sell it for something. Do it right the first time.

Go real slow, research every part you buy and don't be afraid to spend $800 or so for something you'll both be proud of.

Another thought - if you do buy a cheap kit, don't upgrade it, build another AR then sell the first one. You'll avoid putting a lot of work into replacing parts on the first and then someday end up putting those parts back together into a crappy AR that no one will give you anything for.

BTW, I'm not including PSA in with the cheap kits, they do a good job.

The thing to remember here is:

"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

PSA kits for an inexpensive kit of good quality.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #7

Default AR Build......sorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd say bad idea. I'd skip the cheapest kits and build a better rifle starting from day one. These kits are cheap because they slap together the cheapest parts and as you get up to speed later you'll find you're paying double to replace them yet still have problems. Why have to replace parts later, you'll just end up putting back together the cheap rifle and trying to sell it for something. Do it right the first time.

Go real slow, research every part you buy and don't be afraid to spend $800 or so for something you'll both be proud of.

Another thought - if you do buy a cheap kit, don't upgrade it, build another AR then sell the first one. You'll avoid putting a lot of work into replacing parts on the first and then someday end up putting those parts back together into a crappy AR that no one will give you anything for.

BTW, I'm not including PSA in with the cheap kits, they do a good job.

The thing to remember here is:

I have just gotten in a Bushmaster 24'Varminter complete upper & the Bushy lower is on the way. I am setting this rifle up for long range - primarily coyote control (but who knows what else as I get familiar with it).
Two Questions:
1) I intend to replace the stock trigger with a GOOD single stage - adjustable that I can take down to two lbs or so.. What would your choice be ?
2) I have already gotten the P.E.P.R. base/ring, now what is your pick for a long range scope. I am thinking the Leupold AR, 4 x 14 x 40 with BDC turret.

Dan............Georgia

Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #8

Look at the Nikon AR Series, the 4-12X should do you well.

Another good choice is the Bushnell elite 10X.

Either will be plenty of optic for the AR, and wont cost as much as the Leupy.

Sean

Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

Thanks, I will look at them as well. Any ideas on the trigger ? My considerations at this point are: 1) The 3 lb Timney, although it is not adjustable or (2) the Geisselle SSA. Timney $185 vs Geisselle at $280. I have been looking for one of the older Geisselle's that has the 5 or so "notches" built in for adjustment rather than bending a spring arm, but with no luck so far.

Appreciate your getting back.............Dan

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #10

I bought a Wilson two stage TTU and installed it. Easiest trigger job you could imagine, a real drop in trigger. It is light and crisp.

I love it, but I know you are looking for a single stage trigger. I have no experience with one, so I will not offer experiences.