AR-15 brand new, how to?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 brand new, how to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AR-15 brand new, how to?

Just picked up my brand new ar it's a spikes tactical I'm in love now I need canebrake to make me a list like he did with my new 1911 do's and dont's how to clean what to use and when to clean for the first time!
Thank you everyone for your support I'm new to guns but you guys have made my welcome well worth this awesome hobby and passion of mine!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A list?

Run a bore snake through it and get at it. You're shooting an AR.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

Here's some pics on AR15 Lube points.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
A list?

Run a bore snake through it and get at it. You're shooting an AR.
+1

I'm with mjkeat, it's new. Make sure the bore is free of any manufacturing crap or shipping protection and get 'er dirty!

Bushman provided a great visual to assist you in lubing your AR.

Remember this is NOT a brake-in, its a new gun test to find any issues that will require the gun to be returned to the manufacture for repair.

Don't change anything on the gun until this NGT (new gun test) is complete and you have found it free of any issues. Shoot ~500 rounds to satisfy the weapon's reliability.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1

I'm with mjkeat, it's new. Make sure the bore is free of any manufacturing crap or shipping protection and get 'er dirty!

Bushman provided a great visual to assist you in lubing your AR.

Remember this is NOT a brake-in, its a new gun test to find any issues that will require the gun to be returned to the manufacture for repair.

Don't change anything on the gun until this NGT (new gun test) is complete and you have found it free of any issues. Shoot ~500 rounds to satisfy the weapon's reliability.
good advice

Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Liked 1029 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Yes, good advice above.

Take a look at what happens in real life!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
D/L TM 9-1005-249-10 at BiggerHammer - When a small hammer just ain't enough - New Server
Pretty much all you need to know.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm a contrarian to our beloved Canebrake.

If I have a weapon that's new and fresh from the manufacturer, I don't trust that the barrel, chamber and internals are free of sticky metal preservative, burrs and chunks of steel or aluminum left over from the manufacturing or packaging process.

More than once, I have found these conditions which would likely have led to malfunctions on the first range trip, despite the fact that the weapon was good to go otherwise.

Not only does a detail strip, clean and lube prevent possible malfunctions out of the box, it also familiarizes me with the detailed workings and function of the various parts. This knowledge can often be the key to quickly solving a stoppage in the field.

Once I'm sure everything is assembled properly...clean and lubed and looks copacetic...it's time for test firing and sighting in at the range.

If function is good for several hundreds of rounds, then it is time to clean again and very closely inspect for wear (if any is visible) on metal to metal contact areas to make sure everything is mating together smoothly.

If everything checks out...chances are it's gonna last 100 years with proper maintenance.

I have noticed the tendency to *send it back to the manufacturer* on the forums and I often think shooters make a snap judgement too quickly. A little finesse and research can often solve problems without involving the manufacturer. I like to solve problems on my own...that's how I learn my weapon.

My 2/100ths of 1 dollar.

Be Well.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I never buy from manufactures! Just saying

Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #10

Liked 1029 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
I'm a contrarian to our beloved Canebrake.
I didn't see a whole lot of differences in what you guys said, both of you are pretty smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
...I have noticed the tendency to *send it back to the manufacturer* on the forums and I often think shooters make a snap judgement too quickly. A little finesse and research can often solve problems without involving the manufacturer. I like to solve problems on my own...that's how I learn my weapon.

My 2/100ths of 1 dollar.
I definitely agree here. Most things from coffee makers to ARs that are returned are due to owner error or confusion. No doubt better manuals could save manufacturers a lot of returns and CS calls. Even so, once you give things time to sink in you usually find out nothing is wrong.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.