AR-15 Brand - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
Thank you for they advice guys. Price is a definite decided factor for me. I have a small family, and a sun with medical issues, so its not possible for me to put much money into a rifle. It will also take me a year or two, so I have more time to study manufatures. I'm sorry if I seem niave, but I have a hard time determining quality manufactures. I read that the Navy Seals use DPMS, so I assumed that their price range was a good base line. So I just went up from there with brands advertised in my AR-15 magazines.
whale, if you have decided to build one, then the first purchase in this project, should be a few books on the building an AR from the ground up. i think they would be a worthwhile investment and there are many on just that subject. maybe even a manual on the AR15 in general. just my suggestion.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat

If you're having problems w/ your DI you need a new armorer. What's your MOS?

I'm at 2k+ in one of my DI guns and have yet to clean it other than a quick wipe down. Granted it's of extreme high quality but it's still running strong and accurate.

I'd rather lube occasionally and have parts available than not have to lube as much and own a firearm w/ not parts support.

And don't forget the added weight of a piston system.

Quentin puts it into perspective well. Check out the Filthy 14.
I don't feel like the piston is that much heavier, and as far as reliability the DI system burns off and absorbs it's own lube with all the carbon that builds up. The star chamber just ends up insanely dirty and is a pita to clean. I guess my thing with piston is that it is much more convenient, and IMO, it is equally as reliable (saying that on the basis that the only malfunction mine has ever had was a light primer strike once, which is not piston caused/specific) yet I have had jams and other malfunctions with the DI m4. As far as mos, 13 series.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #33

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedevil View Post
I don't feel like the piston is that much heavier, and as far as reliability the DI system burns off and absorbs it's own lube with all the carbon that builds up. The star chamber just ends up insanely dirty and is a pita to clean. I guess my thing with piston is that it is much more convenient, and IMO, it is equally as reliable (saying that on the basis that the only malfunction mine has ever had was a light primer strike once, which is not piston caused/specific) yet I have had jams and other malfunctions with the DI m4. As far as mos, 13 series.
Have you taken a look at the article (filthy 14) mentioned earlier?

I have nothing against piston ARs. Mine has never had a malfunction.

You are probably fully aware of the phrase, ounces equal pounds...? A slight difference quickly becomes much more in a short period of time.

Field Artillery? I won't hold it against you. I'm joking. Our artillery tried to kill us on multiple occassions by dropping rounds on the wrong caordinats. In fact they did severly injure a little girl at one point.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #34

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedevil View Post
A lot of the headaches from the M16/AR's start from the SOB who puts it together or repairs it improperly. Some of it has to do with the choice of lube. I hated the milspec lube they issued us when I was a private. It was a dirt magnet, and seems like it made the carbon stick and harden worse than if we ran it dry. The gas rings were always worn out, and it was issued to us filthy, and we were expected to return it white glove clean. We never had enough cleaning supplies, and got a lot of greif when we bought our own. Now that you have the ability to maintain it to your standards, you can avoid some of the crap the GI's have to go through. The design is good, just needs quality parts and a different attitued toward maintenance. If I had to have a SHTF weapon, I would take my personal weapon over a military issue one any day, even though I would only have semi. My DI guns are smoother and better in every way than most arms rooms. I use a laser when aligning my barrel to ensure my front sight post is straight, and an alignment guage to guarantee the barrel nut doesn't touch the gas tube. You can put a barrel in without doing this, but it gives me peace of mind knowing I did. I have a piston in my carbine, but I will have to admit the motivation was mainly to tinker with it. It still requires cleaning and lube, maybe a little less.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1238 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1282

Whale, since you're on a budget I'd consider leaving the AR magazines on the shelf, don't buy them, just glance through. Most of the stuff in gun magazines boils down to sales pitches and you can find better info online for free. Research is free and you said you're going to take your time so you can be way ahead of the game and save a bundle by soaking in all the info you can.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Gun mag articles are notorious for being advertisements rather than reviews.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #37

Just bought one of the new bushmaster OCRs...just wondering what people have to say about the gun. I picked it up on a steal...heard mixed reviews but couldn't pass up the deal.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #38

My buddy is an ex-marine who swears by rock river...but he also looked at the bushmaster OCR and said he's picking one up...haven't had a chance to fire the bushmaster...just curious

Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #39

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought my daniel defense for $1100 from an ex state trooper. If you want a gun that can take a beatting and keep on rocking daniels are it, just watch the daniel defense endurence tests on youtube and you will see what i mean. Colts are a great weapon also though. Daniels are the lightest ars out right now i do believe.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #40

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
I bought my daniel defense for $1100 from an ex state trooper. If you want a gun that can take a beatting and keep on rocking daniels are it, just watch the daniel defense endurence tests on youtube and you will see what i mean. Colts are a great weapon also though. Daniels are the lightest ars out right now i do believe.
Wow I just watched their video, they blew up the gun and dropped it from a helicopter. It still functioned fine.