AR-15 Brand - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
These threads always frustrate me.

You want a piston gun because the run cleaner, well they don't. They just deposit the filth in different places. I know this because I own both gas systems.

Have you ever thought about having to replace parts in such a scenario as you described? Try finding the proprietary parts to repair a piston system. It's not going to happen. In this scenario do you think you may have to travel? From experience every oz. counts while moving.

Oil? How much do you think it takes to keep an AR running? Do you plan on getting into 18+ hour gun battles? The likely-hood of that happening is slim to none.

Just because a law enforcement agency purchases a rifle doesn't make it up to par. Most LEOs, especially the ones authorizing the purchase of firearms don't know what they are buying. They are simply bean counters looking at the bottom line, meaning their budget.

If you're planning on using it for SHTF you need something up to the task because your life will be the price you will pay when the "good enough" AR you purchased to save $100 fails on you. Usually it happens at the most inconvenient time. Is $100 worth it?

If you have been researching over a year you'd know Colt doesn't have the pin "problem" like in the far far past.

If you want to get a rifle up to the task look into a Colt SP 6920. It's the tool you want in a situation like you described. They can be had for under $1k @ G and R Tactical.
Than you. I was almost set on a piston system, but I feel you are correct. I never thought of finding parts like that. It seems to me that most people use DI systems, and finding parts would be much easier. Especially if military and police use DI systems. Thank you for the input.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Remember all I have to go on is what other people say about the guns online. Where I live all I have is an outdoor range that no one works at, so I can't rent a gun and try it.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1122 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Get a piston gun eventually if you want, but I wouldn't quickly discount the advice above. You might want to look at some of the recent AR build threads to see how others' projects turned out. If after careful research you still want a piston AR, get a good one - and that's gonna cost a lot more than $1000. However that amount will get you a top notch DI rifle.

As far as oiling an AR, a can of motor oil will keep you going for the rest of your life. Heck, in a pinch you can get enough off a dipstick to keep one running for the day.

Since you want to customize, you'd be smart to consider doing a build. Why buy parts twice?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
Remember all I have to go on is what other people say about the guns online. Where I live all I have is an outdoor range that no one works at, so I can't rent a gun and try it.
WN, don't pay attention to much of the advice you get online, analyze what is said and figure out who's the real thing and who plays video games all day.

You can go to the Impact Guns in Boise and rent ARs to shoot in their indoor range. Only 25 yards but that'll do.

Also, join Boiseshooters.com. We have a lot of guys there and definitely check out the shoots at the Nampa range.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

Last edited by Quentin; 10-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quentin gives great advise.

I'm not saying piston guns are a No Go, I own one and like it a lot. But like Quentin said you can get a very nice DI for the price of an "alright" piston gun.

Quentin, what's wrong w/ video games, huh?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #16

Well hello again mjkeat and once agian I am in agreement with you on this issue of Gas Piston VS DI. On another thread about 20 inch 5.45 barrels I have posted that I own an Huldra gas piston AR; I also own several DI AR's and I prefer the DI as well as mjkeat does.

So if you want a decently priced gas piston AR go search for Huldra Arms.

The military has been using the DI system since 1958 and they have not got rid of it just yet and even if they do that is some kind of record for a standard issue service rifle. The military M16's used to have a cyclic rate of around 700 rounds per minute and they were not made of glass then and they are not now. That is in itself a testamonial of good faith so why go gas piston based on internet hearsay?

mjkeat don't get frustrated we have all been there at some point.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
...Quentin, what's wrong w/ video games, huh?
Not a thing, MJ! I'm just thinking of guys who play video games all day and never actually take a real gun to a class or out in the desert. You know, the mall ninja type... Pretty easy to pick most of them out, even online. And fortunately there aren't too many who frequent here.

______

Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Not a thing, MJ! I'm just thinking of guys who play video games all day and never actually take a real gun to a class or out in the desert. You know, the mall ninja type... Pretty easy to pick most of them out, even online. And fortunately there aren't too many who frequent here.
I know man, just giving you crap.

I wish I could put the amount of rounds down range today like when I belonged to our good ol Uncle Sam.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22214 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

any rifle will get dirty and a lot of how dirty it gets is from ammo choice, some just shoot dirtier than others. i shoot mainly PMC 55gr fmj and Federal 55gr fmj in my rifle, and both of these seem pretty clean burning. i also clean mine after shooting, regardless of how many rounds i shoot. i have found my AR very easy to clean and maintain, much easier than my other semi auto firearms. we can make suggestions as to what might be right for you, but you will have to make the final decision as you are the one spending your money on the rifle. don't worry, you will do the same as the rest of us and make some firearm purchases that you regret, we all have. you will try things based on what others have and not be happy, maybe some that please you, that no one else would want.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I know man, just giving you crap.

I wish I could put the amount of rounds down range today like when I belonged to our good ol Uncle Sam.
Yeah me, too! I haven't taken either of my ARs out for a month. Lately it's all been 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP.

______