AR-15 Bolt hold open drops with a hit/timing?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Bolt hold open drops with a hit/timing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Default AR-15 Bolt hold open drops with a hit/timing?

Well my Father-in-law (or soon to be) gave me a new Stag AR-15 for graduation. It is very freakin cool. However I was messing around with it and discovered that if I lock the bolt back and give a medium hit to the butt of the rifle, the bolt will release and go forward, without ever touching the bolt release.

Is this normal or a weak bolt hold open spring?

Second, I noticed that I can pull the trigger and the hammer will drop even when the bolt is not fully in battery. It can be almost 3/4 of an inch from being fully forward. Is this normal? Does the AR-15 have any mechanism to prevent the hammer from dropping until the bolt is completely forward? I am asking because I know that a 1911 will not fire if the slide is not completely forward.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Bumping the buttstock and releasing the bolt is totally normal, WITH the magazine removed (I assume this is the case?)

The hammer being able to drop while the bolt is not fully in battery is normal too.

Now, note this, I speak from experience with the M16A2, M16A4, and M4 carbines, and have only shot a civilian market AR15 once. But, considering they're basically the same rifle, minus select fire....

Old 05-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6032 Times on 3162 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Well my Father-in-law (or soon to be) gave me a new Stag AR-15 for graduation. It is very freakin cool. However I was messing around with it and discovered that if I lock the bolt back and give a medium hit to the butt of the rifle, the bolt will release and go forward, without ever touching the bolt release.

Is this normal or a weak bolt hold open spring?

Second, I noticed that I can pull the trigger and the hammer will drop even when the bolt is not fully in battery. It can be almost 3/4 of an inch from being fully forward. Is this normal? Does the AR-15 have any mechanism to prevent the hammer from dropping until the bolt is completely forward? I am asking because I know that a 1911 will not fire if the slide is not completely forward.
its normal for the catch to release with the butt striking the ground. most guns not just the ar15 will do this.

the bolt has to be fully forward for the firing pin channel to be short enough for the firing pin to strike the primer. it cannot fire, but the hammer can release, until the bolt is fully cammed into place. it is nothing to be concerned about as its normally how the firearm functions in full auto mode. since you missing the full auto sear slector and hammer in a semi auto that prevents it from follow through, its normal for this to occur if you force it to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Bumping the buttstock and releasing the bolt is totally normal, WITH the magazine removed (I assume this is the case?)
it will do it with a loaded magazine but not an empty one in place.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-12-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Ok great. Thanks JonM and Trip. Both of you have given great advice...... as normal. I just had to ask to make sure the rifle was safe before I take it to the range. As I alluded to, I am a noob when it comes to the AR-15 platform. I am trying to learn as quickly as possible though

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"