Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > ar-15 bolt catch issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ar-15 bolt catch issue

After fully assembling my first AR build, the bolt does not go far enough back to engage the bolt catch. I have swapped complete lowers, and my upper works fine. I swapped bolt carrier groups/ bolts.I swapped out buffers and buffer springs in my lower and it will not catch. Any other ideas?

DPMS lower, DD lower parts kit
ATI buffer/tube/spring kit (Comm.)
YHM upper by Precision Firearms

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRat234 View Post
After fully assembling my first AR build, the bolt does not go far enough back to engage the bolt catch. I have swapped complete lowers, and my upper works fine. I swapped bolt carrier groups/ bolts.I swapped out buffers and buffer springs in my lower and it will not catch. Any other ideas?

DPMS lower, DD lower parts kit
ATI buffer/tube/spring kit (Comm.)
YHM upper by Precision Firearms
Are you saying the bolt doesn't move rearward far enough or that the catch doesn't engage? Do you have an empty mag inserted or are you manually engaging the stop? Did you dry fire the lower, not pinned to the upper" and allow the hammer to hit the bolt catch?

Pics would help...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

When manually engaging the bolt catch,the bolt fails to travel far enough rearward to allow the bolt catch to hold the bolt face. 1/8ish inch. The app crashes when I try to add the pic...

forumrunner_20111125_125349.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_125520.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_125546.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_125637.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_125829.jpg  

Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Don't know if its the angle but the catch doesn't appear to be seated properly. The catch should appear as a small triangular stub that sits on the magwell rim with a small tail that protrudes into the magwell. When an empty mag is inserted the follower should visibly raise the entire mechanism and capture the bolt as it draws backwards. In the pics it appears that the body of the catch is below where it is needed to engage.

There are only 2 other places that the bolt can be impeded, the hammer, if installed incorrectly or at an angle may catch on the underside of the carrier or the entire carrier may not clear the buffer tube opening. You would really need to be out of spec for that to happen. You did mention that you have a commericial tube, are all the buffer, tube and spring commercial? Mixing and matching mil-spec and commercial may create a pinchpoint although the parts may appear to fit properly. You may also want to be sure that the buffer is not making contact with any screw in the stock, if the buffer is held up so will the bolt.

Just for the hell of it here's a diagram. The bolt catch spring and disconnector spring are easily confused, check to make sure you got it right.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I wonder if the buffer is to long.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I wonder if the buffer is to long.
OP says he has switched out spring and buffer. I'm kinda stumped here myself no obvious place for the bolt to hang up unless it's hitting the hammer

Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thats weird.

Like you said it could be the catch. Other than that I have no idea.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #8

Here are some more pics. Buffer, tube, and spring are all Comm.they came in a kit. No screws to hold up on. Hopefully the pics help ...in the last pic I am pushing the bolt back into the buffer/spring while pushing the bolt catch.

forumrunner_20111125_205520.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_205623.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_205823.jpg   forumrunner_20111125_210150.jpg  

Old 11-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #9

Aren't the rifle length buffer springs and carbine buffer springs different lengths? Could it be that he's got a rifle length spring in a carbine receiver extension?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Aren't the rifle length buffer springs and carbine buffer springs different lengths? Could it be that he's got a rifle length spring in a carbine receiver extension?

-Fred
I just measured the buffer spring in my rifle and it's about an inch shorter than yours, so I'm thinking you have the wrong spring in there.

Can anyone else confirm this?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"