AR-15 Bolt Carrier Discoloration
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-15 Bolt Carrier Discoloration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR-15 Bolt Carrier Discoloration

You guys usually have insight into everything. So, I thought I'd come here looking for an answer. Both BCGs are from the same model ar. The bottom one is significantly lighter than the other. The top has never been fired out of the factory and the lower has a 100 rounds through it? What's up with te difference in color? Just different runs in manufacturing?any possible issues in the future (ie rust or corrosion)? Already sent a pic to the manufacturer but wanted to hear all your opinions first.

image-16424765.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Which model AR? Some brands are very picky about their parts suppliers and others buy the deal of the week, which could explain the difference.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #3

Sig Sauer.

Last edited by thatguy510; 02-03-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Looks to me like a piss poor parkerization job ,There are 2 reasons the color change happens . #1 Too low of heat during the process causes a lighter color in the Park or, #2 it didnt get oiled immediately after the process , neither will hurt anything and wont cause problems later its just a cosmetic flaw and I would guess its due to #1

Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

By the looks of them the lower (lighter colored) carrier also appears to be the lighter weight/lighter duty/cheaper of the two as well. That's just my own take based on one photo.

But both will probably serve you just fine. And if you're concerned about quality, you could always track down an M16 BCG ($125-200 when you can find them) as an upgrade...and tuck away the light weight as a spare.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
By the looks of them the lower (lighter colored) carrier also appears to be the lighter weight/lighter duty/cheaper of the two as well. That's just my own take based on one photo.

But both will probably serve you just fine. And if you're concerned about quality, you could always track down an M16 BCG ($125-200 when you can find them) as an upgrade...and tuck away the light weight as a spare.
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Not only are they from the same make and model but were bought new within a month of each other. It is more likely a finish issue like purehavoc said than a material issue. Sig is really good about being within spec which is why I was surprised by this in the first place. I am curious though, what in the pic makes you think the materials are different and it isn't just a finish issue? For the life of me, I can see a thing. If they were the same color, they'd be almost identical all the way down to the staking.

Last edited by thatguy510; 02-03-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy510 View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Not only are they from the same make and model but were bought new within a month of each other. It is more likely a finish issue like purehavoc said than a material issue. Sig is really good about being within spec which is why I was surprised by this in the first place.
I wouldnt worry about it honestly , when the park process is below 170 degrees it creates that light color , you can also do it cold and it creates a white to light grey color thats really kind of neat but not really acceptable color finish for a AR

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy510 View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Not only are they from the same make and model but were bought new within a month of each other. It is more likely a finish issue like purehavoc said than a material issue. Sig is really good about being within spec which is why I was surprised by this in the first place. I am curious though, what in the pic makes you think the materials are different and it isn't just a finish issue? For the life of me, I can see a thing. If they were the same color, they'd be almost identical all the way down to the staking.
I don't think the materials are different. I see a difference in the structure. Admittedly, this could be a case of the angle of the picture fooling my eyes. But the body of the carrier in the top one appears to be the fuller "AR Enhanced" style, while the lower could be the lighter weight "SP1" type. I'm looking specifically at the lower right portions (in the picture) of each carrier.

And again, maybe it's just a deceiving angle in the pic.

Line them up belly to belly, and I suppose you'll have that answered.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

Hey Sweeper help me out on one of those PSA lower build kits you have on ebay . I need one to finish up a build ,

Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22

I don't think the materials are different. I see a difference in the structure. Admittedly, this could be a case of the angle of the picture fooling my eyes. But the body of the carrier in the top one appears to be the fuller "AR Enhanced" style, while the lower could be the lighter weight "SP1" type. I'm looking specifically at the lower right portions (in the picture) of each carrier.

And again, maybe it's just a deceiving angle in the pic.

Line them up belly to belly, and I suppose you'll have that answered.
I see what your saying. If you line the up correctly and not as I did you'd see they are exactly the same. I didn't pay attention to that because my question pertained only to the finish.