AR 15 Barrels and recievers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR 15 Barrels and recievers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default AR 15 Barrels and recievers

I have always been under the impression that if you wanted your barrel to last long at all you should get a chrome lined barrel and chamber or a chrome molly barrel. Yesterday I was told that you don't need any of those things unless you live around or have your firearm around saltwater. Is there any truth to this? I am wondering because I am planning on buying a new upper for my Olympic Arms AR rifle and don't want a barrel that will only last a few hundred rounds. I thought that the reason the M-16 had so many problems at the onset of Vietnam was because the barrels were not chromed and the chambers were not chromed lined. Of course I know that the forward assist helped too. Any information that you all could give me would be great. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The chrome lined barrels were designed for heavy rate, sustained, autofire.

In a standard AR, you don't need a chrome lined barrel, though they will last a little longer, they are just not as accurate.

For a minute of bad guy weapon, chrome lined barrels are fine.

For a varmint shooter at 500 or 600 yards, then you want more of a dedicated accuracy barrel.

Chrome lined barrels are more forgiving and easier to clean, but the 5.56/.223 round is particularly fast, nor is it a high pressure, "barrel eating" type of round.

With good cleaning and moderate understanding of firearm's maintenence, a normal barrel will last you much longer than you will probably use the weapon, to be perfect honest, in most shooting situations.

Now, if you are part of a tac-team, with entry drills, live fire scenarios, thousands of rounds a month leaving the weapon, yes, you would prefer a chrome lined barrel.

JD

Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #3

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Thanks for the advice. I am going to go to Knob Creek's Machine Gun Shoot this weekend and am going to try and find me a decent upper for plinking and maybe some varment and deer hunting as well.

Thanks again.