You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

ar 15 barrel life..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Barrel life mostly depends on how you shoot. And it is approx. 18 months or so.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #12

Liked 389 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 651

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I had a Bushmaster barrel I bumpfired a lot and it lasted about 20K before I noticed any change in MOA. It was a 20" milspec A2 barrel for your reference. As long as I can remember, I have been told a barrel can last between 20K and 35K with moderate use. Unless the ammo prices come down a lot, I may not go through that much again the rest of my life.
Forgot to mention: I was shooting Wolf ammo exclusively during this period. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if your barrel made it to 100K. My usage was up there, and the ammo was not the best. Bumpfiring or full auto shortens the life expectancy of any barrel. Many of us on this forum, to include myself, have served as an armorer at one time or another, so you have a lot of knowledge here. BCM is ranked up there as one of the best, so I don't think any of us would be really surprised if their barrels were lasting 100K or higher. My point is, how you shoot can be relevant to how long your barrel will last. Sort of like the question of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a blow pop?
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Forgot to mention: I was shooting Wolf ammo exclusively during this period. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if your barrel made it to 100K. My usage was up there, and the ammo was not the best. Bumpfiring or full auto shortens the life expectancy of any barrel. Many of us on this forum, to include myself, have served as an armorer at one time or another, so you have a lot of knowledge here. BCM is ranked up there as one of the best, so I don't think any of us would be really surprised if their barrels were lasting 100K or higher. My point is, how you shoot can be relevant to how long your barrel will last. Sort of like the question of how many licks does it take to get to the center of a blow pop?
hey i saw that commercial. the answer is three!

personally, ithink there are many factors that go into determining the lifespan of a barrel on a firearm. i know mine will probably outlive me on my AR.
fsted2a Likes This