You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

AR-15 Ammo for Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default AR-15 Ammo for Deer

Best FACTORY ammo for south MS whitetail deer???
50-75 yard shot
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4133 Times on 2673 Posts

What twist? I'd start with a 60-65 grain soft point. Or try the solid copper bullets, they penetrate and expand well, but are much pricier.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Stop by the introduction threads and tell us a bit about yourself.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

For a few years I was totally sold on Sierra's 65 gr Game King spitzer at near 3000 fps!
Then last year my stock of the original bullets ran low and I reordered 200 more; Well sadly my streak of one shot kills ended and I actually lost two deer that were hit solidly in the lungs!
I don't know if Sierra changed something or maybe just the jacket and core separate for some reason but my confidence has taken a serious hit and both my 223's have been removed from my whitetail arsenal!
I will be using my 308 Savage and 45/70 Marlin this year since I get sick when I cripple up an animal and loose it!
factory819 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Primer 1
my twist is 1:8. I'm really just looking for a factory ammo. I'm 100% brand new to AR's but im also not really mad at them deer anymore and generally just shoot a doe or 2 a year and save the rest for my niece lol. I've always hunted with 7mag or 300mag and i understand their ballistics pretty well but clueless to AR. My 1st thought was 77gr Buffalo Bore but i saw a chart where they dont expand much and dont retain their weight well at all. The chart was done by military and the 2 best looking results were Winchester 64gr power point & the m855???? Thanks for any input guys

Old 09-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13612 Times on 5778 Posts
Likes Given: 2261

Take a peek at the chart. With a 1-8, your rifle will do best with 62 gr and up. Below that is not dangerous- just not the best accuracy.

ar twist rate.jpg

As far as a factory load, I freely admit a liking for Federal- come to think of it, I cannot remember a BAD load from Federal. for your purposes, the 62 grain Federal Vital Shok would be one choice. Polymer tip, good penetration, flat shooting.
People Like This 
Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 987 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 392

The 70gr Barnes TSX would be my first choice, otherwise the Federal Fusion are excellent, and also designed for hunting.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Take a peek at the chart. With a 1-8, your rifle will do best with 62 gr and up. Below that is not dangerous- just not the best accuracy.

Attachment 167383

As far as a factory load, I freely admit a liking for Federal- come to think of it, I cannot remember a BAD load from Federal. for your purposes, the 62 grain Federal Vital Shok would be one choice. Polymer tip, good penetration, flat shooting.
I would call foul on your chart as for as the 1-9 twist goes, I have two Savage bolt actions and both have 1-9 twist rates.
The 69 gr is the most accurate of all followed by the 65 gr; as for the 40 gr stuff if it is lead core you must shoot very mild loads to keep the bullets from disintegrating because of centrifugal force caused from over rotation!
55 gr is the lightest bullets that I will now purchase for my rifles, period!
I guess if you are shooting one of those AR rifles with a 16-18" barrel they might not achieve enough MV to share those problems but one of mine has a 22" and the other has a 26"!
factory819 Likes This 
Old 09-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4133 Times on 2673 Posts

How big do the deer get in Mississippi? If they are decent size you might want to stick with the 7 mil or 30 calibers.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory819 View Post
Primer 1
my twist is 1:8. I'm really just looking for a factory ammo. I'm 100% brand new to AR's but im also not really mad at them deer anymore and generally just shoot a doe or 2 a year and save the rest for my niece lol. I've always hunted with 7mag or 300mag and i understand their ballistics pretty well but clueless to AR. My 1st thought was 77gr Buffalo Bore but i saw a chart where they dont expand much and dont retain their weight well at all. The chart was done by military and the 2 best looking results were Winchester 64gr power point & the m855???? Thanks for any input guys
I'm kinda like you on this, I only kill deer for meat as I have enough antlers on the wall. I would just as soon kill a fat doe as a ten point buck, seriously!
My goal is to put three deer in my freezer each year, mostly ground and cubed. Very little meat goes to waste this way although I've been saving some recipes from outdoor hub and a few other sites for steaks and roast which sound great!
My use of ground venison can be spaghetti, hamburger helper, and your usual hamburgers and hamburger steaks along with many more options!
One of our favorite is to mix 1/2 pint of Dales Seasoning with 6 lb venison and mix well then use a jerky shooter to load the dehydrator! You can use red cayenne pepper on the lower racks and have both hot and mild jerky at the same time, good if you have kids around!
As for the cubed, just sprinkle liberally with Tony's Cajun seasoning roll in a little flour and fry just until lightly brown, serve with eggs and home made biscuits for breakfast, I guarantee this will become an instant favorite!
factory819 Likes This 
Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

they dont get too big 100 pound doe's and 180 pound is very large for my area