Ar-15 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan

What is your budget? "best bang for the buck" can vary depending on how many bucks you have as opposed to others.

To some, an LWRC is "best bang" as they got more bucks to spend than the guy who buys a Daniel Defense, or the really frugal who builds one up from a parts kits like from SARCO - http://www.sarcoinc.com/m16.html.

Pick a price point you can live with while still dealing with the responsibilities of having a "real life" and shop within those parameters accordingly.

Once you find the handful of ARs that meet your "money mark", research them independently via searches/readings and YouTube as opposed to blurting out "How's a _____________ for an AR?" - else you will absolutley drive out all the AR "experts" opinionating as to how you made a horrible decision, how to best spend your money, etc...

Something about "Which AR should I buy?" gunboard threads that start the endless multi-page slapfights we see in the AR world.
I'm looking under 1,000 for how much bucks I have. Best quality for that limit??

Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #12

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorRanger

I'm looking under 1,000 for how much bucks I have. Best quality for that limit??
Look into stag. I have a model 1 and love it! Like I've said on other threads stag makes great rifles and good service. I realy can think of nothing bad about my rifle...save for the fact that I haven't shot it enough .

Get em from stagarms.com for $950 or so.

Last edited by kryptar19; 02-14-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorRanger View Post
OK, you have a decent portal to work with. Some other points to consider;

1. Resale value important? You can't completely dismiss that idea, as most of us face can easily hit a personal financial SHTF - and a gun that you can dump without a loss, or at least a huge loss, might be important to you.
To that end, pick a factory, name-brand gun - who's name is one that ANY consumer would recognize.
ANY John Q Public knows S&W, Colt, they've seen or heard of Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS. A Del-Ton may as well be a 50's doo-wop singer. Makes for a strong argument for a S&W M&P-15 Sport.
OTOH, only the AR cognecenti knows a POF, LWRC, DD - which are a tad more than you want to spend.

2. Buy-in price, stretching the above point of absolutely having to sell your AR to pay some bills - EVERYONE uses the 'net to at least research prices. Chances are - you may not get back what you got into the AR.
You'll run into "a used Colt for a $1K ??" when you can shop high/low and find a new pony for under a $1K? Maybe a value-priced AR makes more sense; huge market for value-priced guns as opposed to high-priced guns. GM sells more Chevys than Caddys. Makes for a strong argument for a sub-$800.00 S&W M&P-15 Sport.

3. Not that it's important to the final decision and it's actually maybe childish - but where are the ARs made?
I personally will try to restrain myself fom buying guns made in anti-2A states. Why support the economy of a state that restricts 2A rights? Probably why I won't be buying a GSG MP44/22 from NY-based ATI. Their own employees can't own what they sell. Same for another Colt product.
Still kicking myself for buying a Henry made in Brooklyn, and I'll never buy another now that they moved to NJ. Not when pro-2A PA was less than an hour away to their west.
That said, the newish SIG-USA AR-15 is sweet and sub-1K affordable, and made in Free America New Hampshire.

Last edited by nfafan; 02-14-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan

1. Resale value important? You can't completely dismiss that idea, as most of us face can easily hit a personal financial SHTF - and a gun that you can dump without a loss, or at least a huge loss, might be important to you.
To that end, pick a factory, name-brand gun - who's name is one that ANY consumer would recognize.
ANY John Q Public knows S&W, Colt, they've seen or heard of Bushmaster, Stag, DPMS. A Del-Ton may as well be a 50's doo-wop singer. Makes for a strong argument for a S&W M&P-15 Sport.
OTOH, only the AR cognecenti knows a POF, LWRC, DD - which are a tad more than you want to spend.

2. Buy-in price, stretching the above point of absolutely having to sell your AR to pay some bills - EVERYONE uses the 'net to at least research prices. Chances are - you may not get back what you got into the AR.
You'll run into "a used Colt for a $1K ??" when you can shop high/low and find a new pony for under a $1K? Maybe a value-priced AR makes more sense; huge market for value-priced guns as opposed to high-priced guns. GM sells more Chevys than Caddys. Makes for a strong argument for a sub-$800.00 S&W M&P-15 Sport.

3. Not that it's important to the final decision and it's actually maybe childish - but where are the ARs made?
I personally will try to restrain myself fom buying guns made in anti-2A states. Why support the economy of a state that restricts 2A rights? Probably why I won't be buying a GSG MP44/22 from NY-based ATI. Their own employees can't own what they sell. Same for another Colt product.
Still kicking myself for buying a Henry made in Brooklyn, and I'll never buy another now that they moved to NJ. Not when pro-2A PA was less than an hour away to their west.
That said, the newish SIG-USA AR-15 is sweet and sub-1K affordable, and made in Free America New Hampshire.
Those stg44 .22s looks good but why not make one in 5.56.Wait and see another manufacture take off with it im sure someone else will make one too.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #15

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

I will agree with #13 post , if you have $1000 to spend are you going to want to put any type of optics on it ? you will need to figure in that price also . You always have the choice of just using the iron sights and putting optics on it later when you have more cash flow . At the minimum figure in a rear backup $55 if it has the front iron on the barrel .
There are lots to choose from price wise any where from $600 - $1000. Do some research on here and ask some questions about a couple particular models your interested in that way it narrows down the " I would save another $200 and buy this comments" and Im sure people will more than help you with questions you may have about those particular rifles . Do not let a dealer talk you into something you do not want , Dealers are there to make money and move you along . Nothing wrong with buying from a dealer but buy what you want not what they want you to buy

Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1193 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Quote:
Well that gets you in the BCM and Colt range and possibly Daniel Defense if you shop hard. Yeah, check out the selection at BCM (Bravo Company), you won't find better for the price.

If you aim lower, under $800, then PSA makes real good stuff.

If you know how to research, then building your own AR is the most rewarding way to a great rifle at a good price. I did a Daniel Defense build for around $900 before a few upgrades (every AR will get upgrades so the $700 AR doesn't stay that way long!)
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well I just sold my AUG A3 so im going to start looking to before my wife finds out,like the new Sig 551 A1 but im not sure I want to stock up on 550 mags so may just build a 516 upper with Wilson Combat drop in trigger in a Noveske gen 2 lower.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

1. All but 2 (Colt, DD) you mentioned has **** for resale for value.

2. You can find sub $1k Colts everywhere.

3. Why recommend a lower quality, more expensive rifle over one of better quality and lower price? It makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 02-14-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Colt, BCM... Why settle for a commercial grade AR when you can afford better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
http://www.JoeBobOutfitters.com/Palmetto_State_Armory_AR15_ORC_16_Chrome_Lined_5_p/gun-psam4-cl.htm. Just picked up this PSA from Joebobs with fast free shipping and got a 5% discount cause of FTF. All in all the rifle was $712 and some change and was delivered to my FFL in 3 days. I haven't shot it cause it was way too cold this past weekend but on the initial cleaning all parts were tight and it's a solid rifle.
I don't know what your plans are for your new AR, but for the average shooter to do some plinking with it's hard to beat this deal at Joe Bob's and get delivery to your local gun shop in just 3-days.

All you'll need extra is some ammo and maybe a few more magazines to be good to go. Since it's a flat-top, you may also want to look into some type of optics set-up that suits your needs.

Newest Threads