Originally Posted by rcb
I am thinking about buying an AR-15 5.56 and I have some questions.
1) Is it legal for a civilian to have a barrel shorter than 16"?
2) Is it legal to hunt(Deer) with a small 5.56 cartridge?
3) Is it possible to swap the upper assembly from a 5.56 to a 7.62 without changing the lower assembly?
My next set of questions are more technical.
4) What are the differences between 1x7, 1x8 and 1x9 twist barrel?
5) What are the general purposes of these different barrel types?
6) What gain cartridge should you use for these different barrel types?
Thanks in advance!
1)you can get a shorter barrel legally...you just have to do some paper work, wait, wait, wait some more, then pay a $200 tax
2)sure why not? it'll be a little hard though haha
3)because the 7.62 round is longer than the 5.56 you'll need a special lower as well i believe
4)the difference is the rate of twist. the most common is 1x9 but it depends on preference
5)not too sure...i just know most people prefer 1x9
6)well for 1x9 barrel a 55gr works best not sure about the others
hope that helped even though i didn't answer all of them
welcome to the forum btw