Ar-15 .308?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Ar-15 .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ar-15 .308?

Kinda feel like I'm coming out as a homo here, I've been making fun of these "machine-guns" for years, but I think I might enjoy one of these, in a bigger caliber. I'm told a .308 is called an AR-10, but I have no idea. I just wanna know if it's cheaper to buy one, (are they quality?), or build one (I get pretty particular, don't wanna break the bank.) I do want a bigger caliber, so don't mention a .223/5.56 whatever. I'd like a longer barrel with it, don't know how long they go. Anyway, I hope I didn't hurt any tender feelers here, I just find myself in an odd place here. I'm a hunter, not "tacticool". I've never played MW3, I don't even own an Xbox. So I'm not that guy or anything. Just ignorant.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropinfool View Post
Kinda feel like I'm coming out as a homo here, I've been making fun of these "machine-guns" for years, but I think I might enjoy one of these, in a bigger caliber. I'm told a .308 is called an AR-10, but I have no idea. I just wanna know if it's cheaper to buy one, (are they quality?), or build one (I get pretty particular, don't wanna break the bank.) I do want a bigger caliber, so don't mention a .223/5.56 whatever. I'd like a longer barrel with it, don't know how long they go. Anyway, I hope I didn't hurt any tender feelers here, I just find myself in an odd place here. I'm a hunter, not "tacticool". I've never played MW3, I don't even own an Xbox. So I'm not that guy or anything. Just ignorant.
dont feel silly its fine. you are correct. the term ar 10 is equal to a .308 ar. same as with the smaller caliber though you will find differrent names for different companys. its a popular setup especially for hunters. most of the time they have a 22 or 24 inch barrel. i would assume its cheaper to build one. they are pretty much the same as a .223 just everything is larger in scale. i have not shot one. but may purchase one in the future. if you plan to buy one i think they start around 1300 for decent quality.

here are a couple photos showing size difference.. ar 10 /ar 15
ar15_vs_ar10_upper_receivers.jpg   ar10-vs-bm3081.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 01-29-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #3

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Dpms and armalite are probably the top two in the AR-10 platforms that I know of. As for building one, good luck. With those two being the main two, it's hard to build one with no mil spec. I know the dpms is about 1200 with a heavy bull barrel. You said not to mention the 223/556 but you can buy a 223 lower and look into the 300 blackout by AAC. It's a 30 cal that can fit into a 223 lower. I believe it's a 7.62x35

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

You are correct, a .308 would be an AR-10, not so much for caliber but because of the case length, 51mm I believe. An AR-15 maxes out at about 45mm. Some larger calibers like 7.62x39, .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are available for the AR-15 platform.

As the prior post stated, everything about the AR-10 is a bit bigger and a bit more expensive, starting with the lower. A run of the mill forged AR-15 lower can be found for $50 on sale at any of a dozen vendor sites, AR-10 lowers start at about $200. One other thing to keep in mind is that whereas all AR-15 parts are pretty much interchangeable, AR-10 parts must match either the DPMS or Armalite pattern.

Anyways, welcome to the addictive hobby of AR building...check out the various post found throughout the forum.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-29-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AR = ArmaLite

I would recommend looking here:
http://www.armalite.com/

I would recommend looking here:
http://www.762sass.com/catalog.php

After you poke around for a bit, I'm sure something will strike your fancy and then we can start the serious detailed talk.

Be Well.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Dpms and armalite are probably the top two in the AR-10 platforms
dont-dont be saying that around here too much. i do agree with you, but apparently if you say DPMS is good, the holier than thou AR lovers come out of the wood work and start mentioning companies youve never heard of that are better, but if youve never heard of them how do you know their good?

sorry to get off track, never found anyone give props to DPMS like i do, but i second Shag's opinion. To back it up the NRA's rifle of the year in...2007? i think 2007, was the DPMS LR-10.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum

dont-dont be saying that around here too much. i do agree with you, but apparently if you say DPMS is good, the holier than thou AR lovers come out of the wood work and start mentioning companies youve never heard of that are better, but if youve never heard of them how do you know their good?

sorry to get off track, never found anyone give props to DPMS like i do, but i second Shag's opinion. To back it up the NRA's rifle of the year in...2007? i think, was the DPMS LR-10.
Yeah I've heard of bushmaster making one but I am not a fan of bushmaster at all. That and I was looking into getting a dpms LR-308 in the near future. I had forgotten one brand actually and I apologize for it, Rock River Arms makes one as well. Never played with one but heard good things as well

Old 01-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #8

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

If youíre looking at an AR that would run a few thousand, you may save some money if you build it yourself. If youíre ok with something more reasonable, you wonít be saving that much by building yourself. At least thatís what I decided when I looked into it a while ago. Also be careful about the parts, apparently.308 parts arenít all interchangeable like the .223s.

Are you a BIG guy? I gotta say the Rock River & DPMS .308s I hefted are HEAVY. Really, the AR10s make the AR15s look like a Mattel toys. Theyíre not something I could see myself schlepping through the woods, but then I donít hunt anyway.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm big enough that packing guns all day doesn't bother me, but I have bolt guns for hunting. This is mostly a look what I have, try and hit things a long ways away gun.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #10

A .308 will definitely do it

Newest Threads