AR-10 Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > AR-10 Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default AR-10 Question

Question to those that know. If I were to attempt an AR-10 build, but in a caliber other than the standard .308; would I have to buy a caliber specific bolt housing group. I see companies sell ARs in different calibers but I cannot find bcg's that specifically list other calibers.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The bolt itself will have to match your caliber choice, but the carrier is the same. I believe .308, .260 REM, and .243 are all the same case diameter and rim dimensions, so the same bolt should work on any of those.

What caliber are you looking to build?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #3

Ive been looking into maybe doing a .260 Rem AR. A mix between a high capacity SHTF military rifle and a long range target/hunting gun. So, an AR in .260 is what I started thinking about.

4 days ago I tried to prove someone at work was wrong about what caliber bullet the BOTW uses on their show predominately. Searching for it I stumbled across the .260, I saw the ballistics of it and started thinking that it would make a good deer caliber. Then from left field I got the crazy idea of finding an M-16 in a hunting caliber. Then low and behold I found that DPMS has one in .260 REM with a 24" barrel for $1200 and Armalite has one with a 22" barrel for $1900. I was thinking of the DPMS because it has a longer barrel which gives it slightly better numbers. Saving $700 is a plus to use for better optics.

Then I look here at the AR thread. I read someone say you should build one to better understand the platform. And thats when everything went down hill. Google has been my best friend for the last 3 days. I think I found everything I would need to build what I might want.

I cant believe how quickly it gets expensive.
This is what I came up with so far. For some reason I thought that since this could be a possible project, what could make it more unique than making sure each part came from a different company. I know it sounds retarded but I ran with it.

Mega Arms billet receiver (upper and lower)- $631
Mega Arms :: MA-TEN
SI Defense .308 bolt carrier group with FailZero EXO coating
http://shop.si-defense.com/308_7_62_Upper_Parts_s/46.htm
bolt assembly w/ no carrier- $199
carrier assembly w/ no bolt- $219
Krieger Carbon Steel BULL barrel in .260 Remington, between 24-26" (not sure yet) with a 1x8 twist- $640 with assembly
M1Garand & M1A/M14
American Trigger Association's SR Gold Trigger System- $280
PACT Inc. - SR Gold Trigger System
PRI-Mounts GenIII carbon fiber free float handguard -$340
Precision Reflex Online Store: 308 Accessories
Vltor Rifle Length Modstock-$120
Vltor - Rifle Modstock
Magpul MIAD grip with AR10 wedge-$40
MIAD™ - MIssion ADaptable Grip - MIAD™ Grip Kit – AR15/M16
Harris Bipod w/ adapter-$125
Harris Bipods
$2594

$2600 dollars for a gun I build, not even by a master craftsman. Not including glass. If this are the parts that I use for a rifle, what are the chances that it is twice as good as the $1200 DPMS LR-260?

Sorry about the long post, but I thought I was onto something here and just could not get it out of my mind until I figured it all out. Now I just have to figure out if I go the DPMS route, or the pyramid route, and build it one block at a time.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would say honestly that while your build pieces are great, that it would not be twice the gun that the $1200 DPMS would be. However, it would be your gun, built exactly the way you want it, and that's worth something for sure. If you decide to go that route, be sure to shop around some more.

AIM Surplus MA-TEN for $499.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #5

Would ordering th LR-260 for 1200 and then putting on a 26 inch krieger be the best bang for the buck. 1200 for stock vs 1700-1800 for stock plus upgraded barrel (does krieger have a reputation for making the best ar barrels, if not,who) vs 2600 for a cherry picked custom. What would give me the most reliability plus accuracy per dollar?? Thanx.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I don't have a ton of AR-10 experience, but plenty of people (including me) seem to be happy with the DPMS barrel. I have a 24" fluted stainless barrel on my LR308 and it shows plenty of potential. If you are dead set on a premium branded barrel, I don't think I would waste the time or money of buying a complete rifle and then replacing the barrel right away. I'd do the MA-TEN upper and lower, Kreiger (or whoever) barrel, and then maybe shave a few bucks on your other components. Do a mil-spec fire control group and save $200 right there. You can work over a mil-spec trigger and hammer and use JP springs and have a very nice trigger for about $50 total. JP VTAC handguard for $185 is a nice piece.

That's just a couple suggestions. I really think you would be content with the factory DPMS barrel and save your money for a better scope. But I also understand the attraction of having a totally custom rifle that no one else has. So you will have to decide what you will be happy with. I'll be happy to share what little knowledge I have on the subject.

I bought a complete upper and then built my lower. It's nothing special at all, but I like it so far. And I still built some of it myself, so that's at least a little satisfying.

Last edited by russ; 01-07-2011 at 02:22 AM.