Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ar-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ar-10

Can anyone tell me if the AR-10 can use a magazine for a M-14? Thanks

1911.......enough said!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #2

No (short answer).

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It is possible to modify M14 mags to fit certain AR10 variants, but cheaper and easier to just buy the mags from 44Mag.com.

Then you can send me all those spare M14 mags you have laying around. K?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

oops I double posted

Last edited by skydriver; 09-29-2010 at 03:08 AM.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
No (short answer).
The long answer is that they can be modified to work, but its no easy task ... under the 94 ban Armalite sold a kit to replace the follower (it had a pop-out tab to trip the bolt stop after the last round), then they came out with a floor plate & mag body like the AR-15 and all you used from the doner m14 mag was the spring an floor plate (wink-wink) ... then after the ban died they came out with complete mags.

This is assuming you are talking about the new Armalite AR-10 whos name is owned by Eagle Arms, not the original 1950's Armalite AR-10 designed by Eugene Stoner

Old 09-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 177 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default What is the Difference

Between the Armalite AR-10 by Eagle Arms and the Armalite designed be Eugene Stoner? I am considering an AR-10 after having sold my M1A. I'm also looking at the DPMS version.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #7

I *believe* the DPMS uses model specific magazines that are different from the Armalite's as well.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Between the Armalite AR-10 by Eagle Arms and the Armalite designed be Eugene Stoner? I am considering an AR-10 after having sold my M1A. I'm also looking at the DPMS version.
Mongo is correct ... there are 2 different common patterns.

The original 1950's AR10 and the DPMS use the same mag, which is the original design

The new production AR10's made in the last 10 years or so use a different design, loosely based on the M14 mag ... because when they came out under the 94 ban they couldn't produce new mags with a capicity over 10 rounds so they went with a standard capacity design mag that was plentiful and easy to acquire ... you just had to modify it (or for a fee, send your mags to Armalite and they would do it).

FWIW, I've owned 3 different AR10's ... of which there are actually 5 different designs now; based on 4 different mag designs you can use

1. The original 1950's AR10, the Knights Armerment SR25 (which was designed by Stoner with KAC) and the DPMS ... all use the same design mag.

2. The new Armalite AR10 (Eagle Arms bought the rights to the name roughly 10 years ago and there is no connection with these guns to the original ... other than the name)

3. The Bushmaster / RRA patern which was also developed under the ban and based on the FAL (metric) mag

4. Not a complete gun, but CMMG has designed a lower receiver for the HK G3 mags ... this receiver uses the original/SR25/DPMS design upper receiver.

Hope I haven't confused you ... the design I have now is the DPMS LR-308 and I'm very happy with it ... the mag is one of the original AR10 waffel mags. I added the Magpul PRS stock, Ergo grip and a 2stage RRA trigger ... and its a tack driver.

Last edited by skydriver; 09-29-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Ar-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydriver View Post
Mongo is correct ... there are 2 different common patterns.

The original 1950's AR10 and the DPMS use the same mag, which is the original design

The new production AR10's made in the last 10 years or so use a different design, loosely based on the M14 mag ... because when they came out under the 94 ban they couldn't produce new mags with a capicity over 10 rounds so they went with a standard capacity design mag that was plentiful and easy to acquire ... you just had to modify it (or for a fee, send your mags to Armalite and they would do it).

FWIW, I've owned 3 different AR10's ... of which there are actually 5 different designs now; based on 4 different mag designs you can use

1. The original 1950's AR10, the Knights Armerment SR25 (which was designed by Stoner with KAC) and the DPMS ... all use the same design mag.

2. The new Armalite AR10 (Eagle Arms bought the rights to the name roughly 10 years ago and there is no connection with these guns to the original ... other than the name)

3. The Bushmaster / RRA patern which was also developed under the ban and based on the FAL (metric) mag

4. Not a complete gun, but CMMG has designed a lower receiver for the HK G3 mags ... this receiver uses the original/SR25/DPMS design upper receiver.

Hope I haven't confused you ... the design I have now is the DPMS LR-308 and I'm very happy with it ... the mag is one of the original AR10 waffel mags. I added the Magpul PRS stock, Ergo grip and a 2stage RRA trigger ... and its a tack driver.

Thank you for this clarification. I have not heard some of these facts before.

One other AR-10 tidbit is --- the new Armalite mags insert at a 3 degree angle as well as the mag catch slot is at 3 degrees. The newer Armalite mags have the logo anyway but this may assist in identification.

The DPMS & SR25 mags are similar to an AR-15 on steroids. Longer, fatter but insert straight.

Ed

AR Tools
www.edsmetalshop.com