Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   AO precision vs BCM bolt carrier group. opinions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ao-precision-vs-bcm-bolt-carrier-group-opinions-76578/)

epleyjoseph 11-17-2012 07:58 PM

AO precision vs BCM bolt carrier group. opinions?

BCM seems to be a standard for bcg's, but I saw an AO bcg for a considerably lower price. I have no intention of skimping on quality for a cheaper, less reliable product; but after some research it looks like AO has also been a long running manufacturer of quality bcg's. If I can get great quality and reliability for a lower price, then I'd definitely like to go for the AO. Any opinions on AO vs BCM?

Rhino24 11-17-2012 08:34 PM

I have a AO showing up in the mail on Monday. I have a BCM BCG already and think it is the best so I can't wait to compare the two. The specs show that they are the same.

purehavoc 11-17-2012 11:23 PM

I wouldn't say any of them are best. I have a pretty good feeling Spikes, PSA, BCM , DD and a few other all come from the same place.

epleyjoseph 11-18-2012 02:21 PM

Awesome, tell us what you think when you get a chance to test it out.

Yeah, I saw something about AO making the bcg's for a lot of other companies, so I wanted to look into that a little bit.

Quentin 11-19-2012 04:31 AM

The thing I like about BCM is they spell out the specs in detail on their site and mark the bolt HP MP. That's rare in this industry, usually you're left to guess or fill in missing or ambiguous specs.

epleyjoseph 12-01-2012 11:02 PM

Just found this out, a representative from Fail Zero confirmed that they get their bcg's from AO.

okdonk 12-01-2012 11:38 PM

BCM hands down.. period :).

epleyjoseph 12-02-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk (Post 1035145)

Why is that?

okdonk 12-02-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epleyjoseph (Post 1035252)

Why is that?

I always buy or use part from reputable well proven companies. I have it in my latest build and been flawless. Maybe this is just me..
It's your money and choose and spend wisely n specially when it comes to firearms. Just saying..

Quentin 12-02-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okdonk (Post 1035145)

Quote:

Originally Posted by epleyjoseph (Post 1035252)
Why is that?

okdonk is right, as usual... here's why (and try to get as detailed specs from other vendors)

BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto $159

Features
•Milspec Carpenter No. 158 steel
•HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
•MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
•Shot Peened Bolt
•Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
•Chrome Lined Gas Key
•Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
•Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
•Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
•Tool Steel Extractor
•BCM Extractor Spring
•Black Extractor Insert
•Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring

Prior to shipping, all BCM Bolt Carrier Groups are test fired for function.