anyone tell me about the 6.8 special round?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > anyone tell me about the 6.8 special round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Default anyone tell me about the 6.8 special round?

Hey guys, a trade came my way and I want some info about it. Its a Rock river arms carbine. Good gun? This is the first time I've heard of the round. Is the ammo hard to find and how expensive is the ammo? Thanks for any info.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Don't know much about the round but the ammo is a little expensive for my liking. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/rifle-ammo-68-spc

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Last edited by jordan89; 01-20-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9412 Times on 4056 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

6.8 Special Purpose Cartridge. Pushes a 115 gr bullet at about 2600 fps. More UMPHF than a .223, less recoil than a .308.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #4

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The 6.8 cartidge will make a fine mid size game cartridge deer, hogs, antelope at shorter ranges, under 250 yards. Good bullet selection from ammo comapnies out there but to costly to be a burning ammom play gun. The RRA rifle is a solid company and not knowing the model of the one your looking at starts at 995 new retail priceing for the basic A-2 or A-4. It would make a darn fine hunting rifle. With one of the longer heavier barrels a, fine range rifle out 500 yards.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

The thing about RRA, depending on when this rifle was made is it's upper receiver. It may not have M4 feedramps cut into the receiver which does cause some feeding issues. It's easy enough to remedy with a dremel - I had to do so with one of mine and feeding issues resolved immediately.

Ammo should be SRP not LRP (the latter is not optimal). Silver State Armory, Wilson Combat and Hornady are the primary sources of 6.8. There are a handful of companies like mentioned above (and Bridger Custom Ammo out of Montana which is also very competitive) that offer new or reload your ammo for you.

I bought nearly all my ammo from SSA when they go on sale and have reloaded my brass quite a bit. The 110 SPH are probably the cheapest round, I know ammutogo also loads some fantastic 115gr or whatever you choose to go with.

Hornady probably offers the most consistent brass, but SSA's lasts longer (or seems to).

I would not classify the 6.8 as a plinking cartridge. It's more a very good hunting caliber. The 95 TTSX screams out of the barrel and is a real deer killer. At the other end, so far the Hornady 120 SST is also deer killer. Some of the guys are working on the 130gr SMK to see what it's capable of. Dro pby the 68forum and see what's shaking there.

The cartridge performs very well out of a 16" barrel. I also own a 20" barrel but she is just a range queen - weight and length just don't make her amenable to lugging around. There are 18" barrel offerings that seem to do very well with maybe 50-100FPS boost in performance over a 16".

Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Thanks guys

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Oh- one other note - RRA I think is only offered in 1:10 and you will want to check and make sure it's a SPC II barrel. Th optimal twist rate is around 11 and the SPC II chamber handles the pressure better than the original SPC configuration does. The 1:10 will do the job, it's just not quite the same as the 1:11

Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #8

heres a bit more reading here on the 6.8spc-http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/6-8-spc-ballistics/
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1598-Remington-6.8-SPC-Guide.

Give RRA a call and with the serial number they can tell if the chamber up dated and pulling the bolt back you can look to see if it has the m-4 feed ramps.

Last edited by hardluk1; 01-21-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
heres a bit more reading here on the 6.8spc-http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/6-8-spc-ballistics/
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1598-Remington-6.8-SPC-Guide.

Give RRA a call and with the serial number they can tell if the chamber up dated and pulling the bolt back you can look to see if it has the m-4 feed ramps.
I appreciate the info fellas, I had to pass on the offer. Ammo is way too expensive. Thanks for all the help, its much appreciated.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #10

Everone did point out that the 6.8 spc makes for a good hunting caliber not a play gun. Now it you find a RRA varment with a 20 or 24" barrel that makes a very good bench rifle .

If you want just a fun gun look at palmetto stae arms or m&p15 sport. Both can be had for just under 600 dollars and worth the money.