Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Anyone know a sling that is.....? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/anyone-know-sling-69010/)

broke-again124 07-26-2012 05:13 PM

Anyone know a sling that is.....?

I'm looking for suggestions on a convertible sling like the magpul ms3 but with a shoulder pad. Anyone know of any that are similar to that description?

Dillinger 07-26-2012 05:22 PM

Are you looking for merely a single point contact sling like the MS3? Or are you open to other adjustable AR slings that have padding?

I have a sling, I think I got it from Blue Force (one of the "designed by Larry Vickers" ones), that is nice and really works well. I can't remember the exact name or model, but it is a two point contact sling that is heavily adjustable with just your off hand. Transitions from R to L and for dangle height or shoulder clearance due to amount of gear are all super easy.

If you are interested in other options I can look up the model when I get home. I do believe it was almost twice the price of the MS3 though. :eek:

JD

broke-again124 07-26-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger
Are you looking for merely a single point contact sling like the MS3? Or are you open to other adjustable AR slings that have padding?

I have a sling, I think I got it from Blue Force (one of the "designed by Larry Vickers" ones), that is nice and really works well. I can't remember the exact name or model, but it is a two point contact sling that is heavily adjustable with just your off hand. Transitions from R to L and for dangle height or shoulder clearance due to amount of gear are all super easy.

If you are interested in other options I can look up the model when I get home. I do believe it was almost twice the price of the MS3 though. :eek:

JD

I was just thinking it would be nice to go from single point to two point without hassle like the ms3 offers. I have the ms2 and like it but gosh it's uncomfortable for long periods of time being that it has no padding.

Dillinger 07-26-2012 05:32 PM

I am pretty sure the one I got is two point only. I remember reading a big article on slings and what is was best for what application.

The concensus was a two point was the best of multiple applications without being great at any one thing. That fit what I needed, so I got a good one and I agree, padding is a must if you aren't humping it day in and day out to get used to the weight. :o

Mine is an 18" upper and the weight is nice and evenly distributed with the thick padding and neck/shoulder ride.

I am afraid I don't have much for you on a single to two point configuration partner.

Good luck - I am sure someone here has the perfect app for you. ;)

JD

treehugger49 07-26-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 882642)

JD

That sounds like the Blue Force Vickers VCAS sling. It comes in both padded and non-padded versions.

Very good sling. I have the padded one on both my 5.56 plinker and my 6.8 SPC hunting AR-15. Adjusts easily over a wide range.

I'm not familiar with the MS3, so I can't make any comparisons.

JonM 07-26-2012 08:02 PM

The blue force is a good sling. My pref is for two point. With the blueforce you get a usable sling for cross body carry which can easily be shortened with a yank on the tab for steadying the off hand standing hold. It solves the issue with the standard military issue two points.

I dont like the 3 point as its too much and gets hung on everything pretty much tying you into a knot. Im not too comfy being tied that tightly to my rifle.

One point dates back to calvary days pre1900 when a horse soldier could just drop the carbine go to pistol and not lose the rifle while riding. Since im not mounted calvary it offers nothing to me but that.

Anyway you should make an effort to try all three as your personal preference may be drasticly different than mine :)

Quentin 07-26-2012 08:19 PM

I also think the Blue Force Gear VCAS is excellent. The very similar padded VTAC is just as good and a little cheaper. I've picked up a couple VTACs for $35 each at my LGS.

broke-again124 07-26-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
The blue force is a good sling. My pref is for two point. With the blueforce you get a usable sling for cross body carry which can easily be shortened with a yank on the tab for steadying the off hand standing hold. It solves the issue with the standard military issue two points.

I dont like the 3 point as its too much and gets hung on everything pretty much tying you into a knot. Im not too comfy being tied that tightly to my rifle.

One point dates back to calvary days pre1900 when a horse soldier could just drop the carbine go to pistol and not lose the rifle while riding. Since im not mounted calvary it offers nothing to me but that.

Anyway you should make an effort to try all three as your personal preference may be drasticly different than mine :)

I may just try that one as I've heard lots and lots of good things about it. What does the vickers model offer over the others? ??????

JonM 07-26-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broke-again124 (Post 882797)
I may just try that one as I've heard lots and lots of good things about it. What does the vickers model offer over the others? ??????

Im not 100% sure i orignally just picked it up because it was two point available and had a rear qd push button attachment and was in stock. Turned out to be a great sling for me.

I dont know larry vickers from santa clause so the name doesnt mean anything to me. I just liked the features especially the quick adjust pulltab

broke-again124 07-26-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM

Im not 100% sure i orignally just picked it up because it was two point available and had a rear qd push button attachment and was in stock. Turned out to be a great sling for me.

I dont know larry vickers from santa clause so the name doesnt mean anything to me. I just liked the features especially the quick adjust pulltab

EEK. Push buttons? I've got to have clip on.