Anyone know how to....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Anyone know how to....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Anyone know how to....

Any of you fellas know if it's possible to properly un-stake a castle nut. I wanna get my magpul ASAP on a BCM lower but it comes with castle nut staked.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

just use a castle nut wrench and twist it off. the staked bit of metal will shear off, then when you put it back on re-stake it. i use an old punch that fits in the stake slot. i sharped the punch for the job.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
just use a castle nut wrench and twist it off. the staked bit of metal will shear off, then when you put it back on re-stake it. i use an old punch that fits in the stake slot. i sharped the punch for the job.
It won't tear up the threads backing it off like that?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

No. The staking doesnt go down to the threads. If it does its waaaay over staked and threads are already boogered up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
No. The staking doesnt go down to the threads. If it does its waaaay over staked and threads are already boogered up.
Alright Jon I'm gonna take your word for it and order the BCM lower receiver complete. Thanks

Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124

Alright Jon I'm gonna take your word for it and order the BCM lower receiver complete. Thanks
Our you going to get a blemish BCM like this?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-C

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino24
Exactly, how'd you know? Lol

Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

if you havent got one, a lower reciever block. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25011/Product/AR-15-M16-LOWER-RECEIVER-VISE-BLOCK

its a great tool and if your planning on doing your own work as it sounds its a great investment. reduces frustration a lot and eliminates the chance of warping the reciever.

one other thing what magpul thing are you talking about?? if its a collapsable stock you wont need to remove the extension tube. the one that comes with the complete lower is just as good as the vltor tube i put on my wife's dpms. if your putting on a stock that requires a rifle length tube your going to want to get a stripped lower instead since your going to be replacing a lot of parts if your going that way.

Last edited by JonM; 07-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 22

This is what he is referring to.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-ASAP-Ambidextrous-Sling-Attachment-Point-p/mag500.htm

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
oh i see!! i thought he was wanting a quick response LOL