Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Anyone build thier own upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

Default Anyone build thier own upper?

Hello. I came down with a bad case of BRD and it seems to be spreading. A friend of mine was thinking about building his own upper so that he can keep purchases in $100-200 increments. Much easier to pass his wife's audit that way.

I like the idea and wouldn't mind building a 20" 1/8 twist wylde chamber varmint upper myself.

1. Has anyone on here done this?
2. What tools are absolutely necessary, beyond the obvious(barrel nut wrench, punches, etc)
3. Any tips or suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I like my guns how I like my coffee...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #2

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It's not too difficult depending on your mechanical aptitude.

You will need a barrel wrench, torque wrench, upper receiver block and vise. Depending on the gas block you use, you may need some roll punches.

Check out ar15performance for a nice $190 barrel 20" 1/8 wylde, or Addaxtactical.com for a BHW Black Hole Weaponry barrel for $190. AR15performance barrels are nice but he uses a non standard barrel threading that'll make it difficult for you to findea flashider or brake.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

torque wrench, some anti seize compound, upper reciever block is handy but not neccessary.

when i torque the barrel nut i torque to 30ft pounds then set the wrench to 75ft lbs and turn the nut until the gas tube hole in the nut and the hole in the receiver line up and not exceed 75ft pounds doing it. the official nut torque range is 30-80ft lbs. when using the barrel wrench and torque wrench together the torque wrench has to be at a 90 degree angle or the torque wrench will apply far more torque than what you have it set for.

i use anti seize on the reciever threads so the nut is easy to get off if i need to at some later point.

the other issue is getting the gas block on correct. that depends on what gas block your using.

an upper receiver block lets you set the reciever securely in a vice and hold it square when applying torque and not warping it. while having a friend hold it while torquing is doable its not easy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-05-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agree with both AgentTikki and JonM. My next one I intend to build completely. The biggest thing is making sure the gas tube is properly lined up on both ends. If that's off, you can have issues.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Another thing you must be aware of is that if the barrel/extension has rifle style feed ramps, which is common with 20" barrels, then do NOT get a stripped upper that comes with M4 ramps (you'd want an upper with no ramps at all, which can be hard to find).

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Another thing you must be aware of is that if the barrel/extension has rifle style feed ramps, which is common with 20" barrels, then do NOT get a stripped upper that comes with M4 ramps (you'd want an upper with no ramps at all, which can be hard to find).
Nice catch, forgot about that.....I seem to also recall having to dimple the barrel for pinned gas blocks....can't remember where I read about that.....

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/my-upper-build-thread-51900/

I did my last one and wrote it up with pictures. I'm very happy with the way it came out.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #8

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help guys.

Might be a dumb question, but all barrels come with the properly sized gas port pre-drilled right?

Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yes. A quality barrel shouldn't need any work done to it at all.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

My first build included shaving my own gas block is guess I've pretty much already built an upper or at least disassembled and reassembled one. Here's a few photos of my shaved block and finished upper.

Looks like great minds think alike!