Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Anyone build thier own upper? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/anyone-build-thier-own-upper-63867/)

CamoToe1 05-05-2012 03:01 PM

Anyone build thier own upper?

Hello. I came down with a bad case of BRD and it seems to be spreading. A friend of mine was thinking about building his own upper so that he can keep purchases in $100-200 increments. Much easier to pass his wife's audit that way.

I like the idea and wouldn't mind building a 20" 1/8 twist wylde chamber varmint upper myself.

1. Has anyone on here done this?
2. What tools are absolutely necessary, beyond the obvious(barrel nut wrench, punches, etc)
3. Any tips or suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I like my guns how I like my coffee...

AgentTikki 05-05-2012 04:18 PM

It's not too difficult depending on your mechanical aptitude.

You will need a barrel wrench, torque wrench, upper receiver block and vise. Depending on the gas block you use, you may need some roll punches.

Check out ar15performance for a nice $190 barrel 20" 1/8 wylde, or Addaxtactical.com for a BHW Black Hole Weaponry barrel for $190. AR15performance barrels are nice but he uses a non standard barrel threading that'll make it difficult for you to findea flashider or brake.

JonM 05-05-2012 04:21 PM

torque wrench, some anti seize compound, upper reciever block is handy but not neccessary.

when i torque the barrel nut i torque to 30ft pounds then set the wrench to 75ft lbs and turn the nut until the gas tube hole in the nut and the hole in the receiver line up and not exceed 75ft pounds doing it. the official nut torque range is 30-80ft lbs. when using the barrel wrench and torque wrench together the torque wrench has to be at a 90 degree angle or the torque wrench will apply far more torque than what you have it set for.

i use anti seize on the reciever threads so the nut is easy to get off if i need to at some later point.

the other issue is getting the gas block on correct. that depends on what gas block your using.

an upper receiver block lets you set the reciever securely in a vice and hold it square when applying torque and not warping it. while having a friend hold it while torquing is doable its not easy.

BenLuby 05-05-2012 04:32 PM

Agree with both AgentTikki and JonM. My next one I intend to build completely. The biggest thing is making sure the gas tube is properly lined up on both ends. If that's off, you can have issues.

Quentin 05-05-2012 06:50 PM

Another thing you must be aware of is that if the barrel/extension has rifle style feed ramps, which is common with 20" barrels, then do NOT get a stripped upper that comes with M4 ramps (you'd want an upper with no ramps at all, which can be hard to find).

AgentTikki 05-05-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 791292)
Another thing you must be aware of is that if the barrel/extension has rifle style feed ramps, which is common with 20" barrels, then do NOT get a stripped upper that comes with M4 ramps (you'd want an upper with no ramps at all, which can be hard to find).

Nice catch, forgot about that.....I seem to also recall having to dimple the barrel for pinned gas blocks....can't remember where I read about that.....

russ 05-05-2012 08:18 PM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/my-upper-build-thread-51900/

I did my last one and wrote it up with pictures. I'm very happy with the way it came out.

CamoToe1 05-05-2012 08:29 PM

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help guys.

Might be a dumb question, but all barrels come with the properly sized gas port pre-drilled right?

russ 05-05-2012 08:37 PM

Yes. A quality barrel shouldn't need any work done to it at all.

CamoToe1 05-05-2012 08:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My first build included shaving my own gas block is guess I've pretty much already built an upper or at least disassembled and reassembled one. Here's a few photos of my shaved block and finished upper.

Looks like great minds think alike!