Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   Anybody got a gas piston AR? (

FALPhil 07-07-2007 03:32 PM

Anybody got a gas piston AR?
There are a few choices out there now.


DS Arms

Lauer Weaponry

Bushmaster/Quality Parts

Z-M Weapons

There may be more. Is this the wave of the future? I personally do not like the gas impingement system of the M16/AR15 for two reasons:

(1) dumping ash into the chamber area makes cleaning a PITA. It's a little easier on the MAS 49/56, because the parts are large and crude, and the receiver has no nooks and crannies. But on the AR15, it takes 4 times as long to clean properly.

(2) Buffer tubes suck. They look hokey. They sound funny during recoil. Because they don't fold, the most compact configuration is larger than it needs to be.

If you can think of any more vendors or designs for piston ARs, please post them. I would like to do a comparison of all the entries.

Spartan 07-08-2007 11:38 AM

Sig 556
I have a SIG 556.

FALPhil 07-08-2007 08:36 PM

I would have bought a Sig 556, which is an evolved AK operating system. The reason I didn't is that they put one of those goofy buffer tube stocks on it.

Why, oh why? :mad:

FALPhil 07-21-2007 05:50 AM

I think I have found what I am looking for:

RA-XCR-Folder Robarms XCR Modular .223/5.56x45 Rifle

AR Hammer 08-05-2007 12:30 AM

I don't do a lot with the civilian market, so I'm not entirely sure what the 'Goofy Buffer Tube' is, or why it's 'Goofy'...
(is 'Goofy' a technical term?:p )

I have three, two are early military designs (Does anyone remember the Rhino Company?) and one is after market.

The two early ones are over 20 years old and have the 'Stepped' actuation rods that mimic the original gas tube, and is a very short piston housing,

The after market has a straight actuation rod and a much longer piston housing.

FALPhil 08-05-2007 04:24 AM


Originally Posted by AR Hammer (Post 5687)
I don't do a lot with the civilian market, so I'm not entirely sure what the 'Goofy Buffer Tube' is, or why it's 'Goofy'...
(is 'Goofy' a technical term?:p )

It is a technical term that applies to rifles that have no requirement for a buffer tube but have one installed anyway. Kinda like a propeller on a bicycle...

AR Hammer 08-06-2007 02:08 PM

I had a wind up key on a Vega once, does that meet the specifications?

How about the fuse I had on the back of a Pinto once?:eek:

billt 09-24-2007 05:32 PM

Bushmaster and POF are the same gun. POF makes them for Bushy. Bill T.

AR Hammer 09-25-2007 03:16 AM

I was kind of wondering why everyone believes the buffer, tube and spring are no longer required when the short stroke gas piston is implemented?

Removal of the recoil buffer spring to a forward position isn't a given, and most I've seen leave the recoil spring in the shoulder stock.

I guess if you were one of the 'Short Gun, Spray & Pray, Hollywood Wanna-Be' guys then a folding stock is OK...
Or even worse, one of the 'Machine Pistol' weenies:eek:

Personally, when I pick up a rifle I want it to have a full, solid shoulder stock, a long barrel, be hyper accurate since I only intend on firing one well placed round at a time,
Usually from 300 or more yards away.

Folding stocks, Lights, Lasers, Bayonets, Vertical Grips, or any other of that 'Mall Sniper' or 'Tacti-Cool' crap doesn't interest me.
That stuff is for cops that have displaced penis envy and pimple faced high school kids that play too many video games...

Linchpin 10-07-2007 04:09 PM

AR Hammer it is ok tell us how you really feel.

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.