Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Difference between real deal and pts? The real deal will hold zero. The PTS won't. Don't ask me how I know. Whte real deal will withstand a drop test better than any other polymer or ALLOY buis. The pts won't. Get the PTS is you want a range weapon and don't mind zeroing it every time you go out to the range. In the long run, you will save money just in ammo costs spent re-zeroing your sights.
This is true, I remember that drop test and the MBUS2 came through pretty much unscathed and with the least zero shift. No doubt the PTS knockoffs wouldn't fare as well, AT sounds like he has first hand experience.

The MBUS is a bargain but when buying, inspect carefully to be sure you didn't get a knockoff.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Actually I purchased a pair of PTS sights for $20.00 new. I was pretty amazed at how nice they look and solid they felt out of the box. I originally was going to mount them on my kid's nerf gun. It didn't fit, and would require some time with a dremel. So i threw it on a rail, din't like what I saw. Firstly, you can wiggle it around. bleh. Secondly, when you the nut spins when you tighten the bolt to secure the sight. I think if maybe they used the correct size nut it would alleviate the problem but meh. Thirdly, it doesn't fit flat on the rail when in the down position. Lastly and most importantly, I can make adjustments to it just by using my fingers. This thing isn't gonna hold zero. Didn't even bother to put it on my 5 year old's nerf rifle.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #13

Liked 580 Times on 310 Posts

PTS stands for "professional training & simulation". I wouldn't stake my life on that.Like Tiki said,I wouldn't even stake my kids reputation of accuracy with a nerf gun. For real world scenarios use the real deal not PTS sights. Here is a link about the Magpul PTS. They make a wide range of training accessories that mimic the real deal.

http://www.magpul-pts.com/about-magpul-pts.html