Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun?

What's you thoughts on the Magpul backup sights? And is there any real difference between the PTS ones other than they are made in china? Or do u have any suggestions on another brand all together economy price set? It's for range short distance and home protection.

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

They are great sights.
The pts are junk. They are designed for airsoft guns. Do not buy them.
You can get the buis on eBay for a good price just be sure they are the real thing.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

If you're looking for quality on a budget, buy Magpul MBUS and a Vortex red-dot (I like the Strikefire).

The PTS will not fit your AR15 rails...and they aren't designed to.

There are some sellers on EBay that offer very fair prices on Magpul MBUS. One I've use a couple times has the username 'Altatac' and offers rears for under $50 and F/R sets for like $80, free shipping.

Vortex red-dots can be found for $150 or so. Wait a week (keep an eye on PSA, JoeBob's, Aim, etc), and they will be on sale somewhere. They're excellent.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think Magpul are decent. They have been known to break however, even the genuine. There are lots of knock offs on the market so beware, the Chinese knockoffs WILL break.

By the way the MBUS has something like 3 lines. The gen 2 and the pro. I fyou are paying $50 for a PRO MBUS it's not genuine, but $50 for a Gen 2 MBUS is fair. I just wanted to point that out.

Promag is another cheap but decent alternative. I don't rely on iron sights currently but have a set of promag for BUIS. I used to use them before I mounted my scope.

My normal recommendation is if you run (or plan to run) an optic go with flip up sights. If you never intend to run an optic, other than maybe an Aimpoint or Eotech non magnified red dot type sight, then go with fixed sights.

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Last edited by CGS; 06-13-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Difference between real deal and pts? The real deal will hold zero. The PTS won't. Don't ask me how I know. Whte real deal will withstand a drop test better than any other polymer or ALLOY buis. The pts won't. Get the PTS is you want a range weapon and don't mind zeroing it every time you go out to the range. In the long run, you will save money just in ammo costs spent re-zeroing your sights.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for the useful info, DZ

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

For a decent 50 to 75 yard plinker, a Tru Glo red dot is pretty darn good, under $50.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
CGS

Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
For a decent 50 to 75 yard plinker, a Tru Glo red dot is pretty darn good, under $50.
I have one on my shot gun and it's held up so far. Surprising for a $50 optic since I know NCStar would have blown up!

-Thomas
NRA Life Member, ISRA Member, American Gunsmith Institute Certified, NRA Instructor, State of IL authorized Carry Concealed Instructor http://www.chicagogunsmith.com
http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have MBUS on my rifle and no problems or complaints. I do know that you should not mount them on a gas block as they will melt. Magpul does have a new version that is made of metal.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGS View Post
I think Magpul are decent. They have been known to break however, even the genuine. There are lots of knock offs on the market so beware, the Chinese knockoffs WILL break.

By the way the MBUS has something like 3 lines. The gen 2 and the pro. I fyou are paying $50 for a PRO MBUS it's not genuine, but $50 for a Gen 2 MBUS is fair. I just wanted to point that out.

Promag is another cheap but decent alternative. I don't rely on iron sights currently but have a set of promag for BUIS. I used to use them before I mounted my scope.

My normal recommendation is if you run (or plan to run) an optic go with flip up sights. If you never intend to run an optic, other than maybe an Aimpoint or Eotech non magnified red dot type sight, then go with fixed sights.
I run Troy Fixed front and Troy Fixed Di-Optic rear with no other optic they are great sights right out the package they were zeroed on my rifle at about 50yds and for about $100 a set u can't beat them

Work Hard Play Hard