Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/any-thoughts-cheap-sights-first-build-range-home-gun-92246/)

DropZone889 06-13-2013 03:14 PM

Any thoughts on cheap sights for first build range/home gun?

What's you thoughts on the Magpul backup sights? And is there any real difference between the PTS ones other than they are made in china? Or do u have any suggestions on another brand all together economy price set? It's for range short distance and home protection.

mountainman13 06-13-2013 03:42 PM

They are great sights.
The pts are junk. They are designed for airsoft guns. Do not buy them.
You can get the buis on eBay for a good price just be sure they are the real thing.

sweeper22 06-13-2013 05:30 PM

If you're looking for quality on a budget, buy Magpul MBUS and a Vortex red-dot (I like the Strikefire).

The PTS will not fit your AR15 rails...and they aren't designed to.

There are some sellers on EBay that offer very fair prices on Magpul MBUS. One I've use a couple times has the username 'Altatac' and offers rears for under $50 and F/R sets for like $80, free shipping.

Vortex red-dots can be found for $150 or so. Wait a week (keep an eye on PSA, JoeBob's, Aim, etc), and they will be on sale somewhere. They're excellent.

CGS 06-13-2013 05:33 PM

I think Magpul are decent. They have been known to break however, even the genuine. There are lots of knock offs on the market so beware, the Chinese knockoffs WILL break.

By the way the MBUS has something like 3 lines. The gen 2 and the pro. I fyou are paying $50 for a PRO MBUS it's not genuine, but $50 for a Gen 2 MBUS is fair. I just wanted to point that out.

Promag is another cheap but decent alternative. I don't rely on iron sights currently but have a set of promag for BUIS. I used to use them before I mounted my scope.

My normal recommendation is if you run (or plan to run) an optic go with flip up sights. If you never intend to run an optic, other than maybe an Aimpoint or Eotech non magnified red dot type sight, then go with fixed sights.

AgentTikki 06-13-2013 05:34 PM

Difference between real deal and pts? The real deal will hold zero. The PTS won't. Don't ask me how I know. Whte real deal will withstand a drop test better than any other polymer or ALLOY buis. The pts won't. Get the PTS is you want a range weapon and don't mind zeroing it every time you go out to the range. In the long run, you will save money just in ammo costs spent re-zeroing your sights.

DropZone889 06-14-2013 01:25 AM

Thanks everyone for the useful info, DZ

Gatoragn 06-14-2013 02:18 AM

For a decent 50 to 75 yard plinker, a Tru Glo red dot is pretty darn good, under $50.

CGS 06-14-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1275802)
For a decent 50 to 75 yard plinker, a Tru Glo red dot is pretty darn good, under $50.

I have one on my shot gun and it's held up so far. Surprising for a $50 optic since I know NCStar would have blown up!

515Survival 06-14-2013 06:14 PM

Have MBUS on my rifle and no problems or complaints. I do know that you should not mount them on a gas block as they will melt. Magpul does have a new version that is made of metal.

BigBizz87 06-14-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGS (Post 1275424)
I think Magpul are decent. They have been known to break however, even the genuine. There are lots of knock offs on the market so beware, the Chinese knockoffs WILL break.

By the way the MBUS has something like 3 lines. The gen 2 and the pro. I fyou are paying $50 for a PRO MBUS it's not genuine, but $50 for a Gen 2 MBUS is fair. I just wanted to point that out.

Promag is another cheap but decent alternative. I don't rely on iron sights currently but have a set of promag for BUIS. I used to use them before I mounted my scope.

My normal recommendation is if you run (or plan to run) an optic go with flip up sights. If you never intend to run an optic, other than maybe an Aimpoint or Eotech non magnified red dot type sight, then go with fixed sights.

I run Troy Fixed front and Troy Fixed Di-Optic rear with no other optic they are great sights right out the package they were zeroed on my rifle at about 50yds and for about $100 a set u can't beat them