Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #61
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger52 View Post

I now have a DPMS, who some say is junk, but I think there are reasons other than fact for that. It shoots well, handles all ammo even tula. And it has a very well forged lower. So If I have the ****ty DPMS which I see as better than the ruger, then maybe the ruger isn't the best choice. But I was only in the Army for 20 years. So what do I know?

i wouldnt call it junk. dpms fits in with it's price point. the issue comes in when folks buy a dpms panther or oracle take it to a run and gun carbine class and are gripey when it doesnt hold up or perform like bcm colt lwrc etc. then they jump on the forums and start up flame wars that all dpms are total junk.

i liken it to taking a 2013 mustang putting a nascar shell on it and entering the indianapolis 500 with it then complaining that its junk because you didnt win. is a 2013 mustang crap?? nope, but its not a nascar either.

thats where the dpms is junk thing comes from. there are functional and quality differences in materials and construction practices that make lower end ar15 not the same as their better constructed kin. it doesnt mean the lower end ar15 are worthless crap and will explode on the first round down the tube. it just means they arent as likely to last under very hard rigourous use and abuse as well as a higher end model will.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #62

Anyone have experience with a non-Ruger upper on a Ruger lower? Would like to purchase a 6.5 vs the 6.8 offered by Ruger. I'm concerned about functionality. Is a Ruger lower identical to all the other AR lowers?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #63
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-breeze View Post
Anyone have experience with a non-Ruger upper on a Ruger lower? Would like to purchase a 6.5 vs the 6.8 offered by Ruger. I'm concerned about functionality. Is a Ruger lower identical to all the other AR lowers?
i had an early sr556 and it was not compatable with milspec uppers. i think the newer ones are but im not 100% on that.

my opinion: your better off getting something like a colt or bcm or psa. better gun less money. unless of course you just gotta have the ruger stamp on the side.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #64

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1gmach198
This is my first post on the forum and I'm brand new to AR-15s, so please go easy on me

I'm looking to purchase my first AR-15 and saw the Ruger SR 556 at the local shop. I was wondering if any of you own this model, and if so, what feedback you have on it.

I'm primarily looking for a quality weapon that is both reliable and accurate. I don't do competition shooting, but would like something that's both fun to shoot as well as good in a SHTF scenario.

I've looking to invest $3,500 or less for both a rifle and a sight. So far, EOTech has caught my eye on the sight side of things, so I'm planning on a decent chunk of that going to the sight.

If anyone has other suggestions for makes/models in this range, I'm certainly open to the input.

Thanks in advance - glad to be here!
I have the 556E a lot of people are against the piston system so a lot of suggestions come down to DI vs Piston system the 556E has the slimmer handguard it takes off a little weight but it is on the heavier side it come down to presence And what you want out of it it is accurate its reliable I have 500 rds through mine and I haven't had a single problem the weight doesn't bother me at all if your looking at getting a 556 and you think that's what you want do your own research people suggestions are nice but your the one who has to decide I got mine because I did research and everyone I talked to had positive things to say as do I , I am very happy with mine it runs flawlessly the piston is the only thing you have to clean and it take 2 minutes to clean it