Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy88 View Post
That's not that bad of a price. I have seen worse go for a lot higher. Looks pretty sharp.
Thanks, I like it... Its just crazy how much the prices on anything that fits on an AR have been inflated. This mount probably cost burris $40 to produce.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #52

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy88

That's not that bad of a price. I have seen worse go for a lot higher. Looks pretty sharp.
arguy88, look around at companies like Larue and American Defense for optics mounts. They are a few Big Macs more expensive but the machining and overall quality/functionality is superb. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will deny Larue's God like status in the mount world.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #53

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I will check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4429
Thanks, I like it... Its just crazy how much the prices on anything that fits on an AR have been inflated. This mount probably cost burris $40 to produce.
Yeah I can't believe the prices of some of these AR parts. Especially the ones made out of plastic.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
arguy88, look around at companies like Larue and American Defense for optics mounts. They are a few Big Macs more expensive but the machining and overall quality/functionality is superb. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will deny Larue's God like status in the mount world.
Geez, do you just like messing with me or is it just your hobby? Me and ARguy88 were having a conversation about something he liked on my rifle. If I took this wrong I am sorry, but since my first post you have been in my a#$. If you dont like my choice in guns or my opinion just ignore it. Like I said, If I took your comments wrong i am sorry.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4429
Geez, do you just like messing with me or is it just your hobby? Me and ARguy88 were having a conversation about something he liked on my rifle. If I took this wrong I am sorry, but since my first post you have been in my a#$. If you dont like my choice in guns or my opinion just ignore it. Like I said, If I took your comments wrong i am sorry.
You have misunderstood my posts. It's not uncommon considering the money involved and the attachment most have w/ their firearms. The fact is there is a difference in quality that outweighs the difference in cost. Would you recommend arguy88 spend $140 on a mount or $180 on the best mount money can buy? Do you see where I'm coming from? It's very common in the current AR market to be able to make huge leaps in quality for a small increase in price.

Are you familiar w/ the difference b/w those three mount manufacturers?

If you would like I'll take back my posts and and we can let people go on thinking that the highest quality is out of their reach. Even though it only costs a few dollars more. Let's help each other get the best quality product possible. In the long run we all benefit.

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-14-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #57

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4429 View Post
Bought it at sportsmans warehouse, it is the Burris P.E.P.R quick detach. It runs $139. A bit more than I wanted to pay but I mounted several different models and this one was the most rigid of all. No play to either side or up / down. I would highly suggest this mount.
I have to admit I have a Burris P.E.P.R. because I needed a decent cantilever for my Nikon scope. Made in China but so is the scope. RRA makes a cantilever made in USA but of course it's hard to beat LaRue if you're buying quality glass (I wasn't).

Don't pay $139 for the Burris though, you can get them for $80 or less. As Mike pointed out as the price goes up you want to look at the quality brands. If I were using a high end scope I'd certainly pay more for the mount as well.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #58

I had an Aimpoint H1 sitting on a $30 KZ mount for awhile. Just didn't feel right.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #59

I'm pretty happy with my Ruger. Piston operation is cleaner but have don't have the personal experience of the others in the post. I do though have a question. I would like to purchase a non-Ruger upper in a 6.5 to have a little more knockdown for hunting. Will a non- Ruger upper function on a Ruger lower? Ruger offers a 6.8 but the 6.5 is a better round.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My newness to civilian ARs caused me to just go crazy for awhile. I held a lot of good weapons. But I could not concieve of paying that, for something I was new to. I am familiar with the ar platform, since I held, shot, and cleaned the M-16 for 20 years. So I saw the ruger. The lower seamed cheap to me. I looked at the forged compared to the poly, and the ruger did not sit well. Plus way to high priced.

I now have a DPMS, who some say is junk, but I think there are reasons other than fact for that. It shoots well, handles all ammo even tula. And it has a very well forged lower. So If I have the ****ty DPMS which I see as better than the ruger, then maybe the ruger isn't the best choice. But I was only in the Army for 20 years. So what do I know?

Doin' what I can, with what I got.