Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
A filthy AR is an AR that is likely to jam.

An AR is actually 1950s tech.
And television is actually 1920's tech. We now have these things called HDTV's, and they have COLOR!!!
Our cars can now outrun horses and fat kids, too.
Everything evolves, and becomes better. The AR is no exception. The modern AR is a far cry from it's predecessor, and much more reliable and efficient, as well as more accurate. To attempt to claim it hasn't changed is similar to saying radio hasn't changed, or computer technology.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Redleg, why do I get the impression that you own a SR-556? Piston ARs are fine for certain applications but for a mainstream rifle DI works well. If you were an armorer you'd know that. Don't pass on misinformation to the op, DI works well and we're just wanting him to get both sides of the story.
Actually, I would argue that any review of this thread reveals the opposite. The DI owners are strident in defending their purchases. And it does appear that many in this thread are performing the time-honored rite of trying to justify what they have bought. Yes, I *just* bought a Ruger SR556 after months of evaluations, both physical and reading on-line reviews. This after 40 years of experience with .223/.556 rifles, including 5 years of military service in which I handled M-16s every day.

If you review this thread, you will see that the strident, highly opinionated comments are coming from DI owners, and with one exception from DI owners who appear to have zero familiarity with piston operated AR platforms or the SR556. Other than myself, most in this thread have done all they can to give the OP only one side of the story, the DI side. That is what got my dander up. So it is a bit much for you to say that you fellows are trying to give the OP "both sides."

I am betting that most in this thread who have been trashing the SR556 never have fired one, let alone owned one. I have done all these things with both systems, so I feel comfortable giving my opinion.

The DI system has the advantage of a few fewer parts. It has the disadvantage of spewing a heck of a lot of crud right onto the main components of the operating system, stressing the bolt, the extractor, the firing pin, and the whole danged thing. The piston system avoids all of this. Most people outside of this particular website seem to agree with me.

Fun thread. Hope you chaps are enjoying it as much as I am.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #33

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I currently own 6 ARs and have purchased a few others. The first was a LWRC (piston operated). I have no issue spending money on quality firearms. If the piston had proven to be worth the money the following 5 ARs would have had pistons.

I have handled this Ruger. I was not impressed. The most notable issue being the balance. Balance is very important unless you plan on shooting from a bench. I do not. I don't find it fun or practical in the slightest.

What about parts. Where would one find parts for this Ruger? Ruger only? That's the problem w/ piston guns, they are not standardized.

Crud? You say you have 40 years experience w/ the system and you're going to cite crud as a factor regarding reliability? Crud is something you find on the bottom of your shoe. I only have 10 years behind the platform and even I know better than that. You need to run w/ a crowd that shoots more. I take it you didn't google Filthy 14.

I don't know what other forums you visit but go over to M4C.net or Lightfighter and ask them what they think of this Ruger.

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-11-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #34

I'm planning to make a short trip to Midwest Industries over in Waukesha (I'm in the Milwaukee area) and chat with the folks there, since it sounds like they're a knowledgeable bunch and probably have a better selection compared to somewhere like a Cabelas or Gander Mountain when it comes to AR-15s.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I currently own 6 ARs and have purchased a few others. The first was a LWRC (piston operated). I have no issue spending money on quality firearms. If the piston had proven to be worth the money the following 5 ARs would have had pistons.

I have handled this Ruger. I was not impressed. The most notable issue being the balance. Balance is very important unless you plan on shooting from a bench. I do not. I don't find it fun or practical in the slightest.

What about parts. Where would one find parts for this Ruger? Ruger only? That's the problem w/ piston guns, they are not standardized.

Crud? You say you have 40 years experience w/ the system and you're going to cite crud as a factor regarding reliability? Crud is something you find on the bottom of your shoe. I only have 10 years behind the platform and even I know better than that. You need to run w/ a crowd that shoots more. I take it you didn't google Filthy 14.

I don't know what other forums you visit but go over to M4C.net or Lightfighter and ask them what they think of this Ruger.
Never heard of either Lightfighter or M4C.

Hell, yes I cite crud as an issue affecting reliability. And so does everyone else. Crud build up in M16s has led to some not good consequences.

As far as parts go, for those few parts that can only be gotten from Ruger, I have no problem with that, given the fact that Ruger is one of the biggest firearm companies in the USA. And most of the parts are standard and easy to get.

By the way, perhaps like you, I can afford to buy whatever I want. (And to the dismay of my wife, I frequently do. ). For you, that was mostly DI ARs. For me, it was the SR556 and the Mini 14. So there you go. Ain't this a great country?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #36

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Whatever floats your boat.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #37

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Quote:
Never heard of either Lightfighter or M4C.

Hell, yes I cite crud as an issue affecting reliability. And so does everyone else. Crud build up in M16s has led to some not good consequences.

As far as parts go, for those few parts that can only be gotten from Ruger, I have no problem with that, given the fact that Ruger is one of the biggest firearm companies in the USA. And most of the parts are standard and easy to get.

By the way, perhaps like you, I can afford to buy whatever I want. (And to the dismay of my wife, I frequently do. ). For you, that was mostly DI ARs. For me, it was the SR556 and the Mini 14. So there you go. Ain't this a great country?
You might want to lurk a while at Lightfighter and M4C, Redleg. Lots of info.

I'm an old guy too and my experience leads me to the DI side of the AR argument. Yours leads you to piston in the SR556. Whatever works for you is fine, I just can't warm up to all that weight out front. And you mention the Mini-14 which I think forced Ruger to leap to a higher price point than you normally expect from Ruger. If they had offered a lower priced AR it no doubt would have eaten into the Mini's sales so they had to trick up their new AR and go for a different buyer. Sorry, I'm not impressed with their choices. And I normally am a Ruger fan - own three.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-12-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:

I am betting that most in this thread who have been trashing the SR556 never have fired one, let alone owned one. I have done all these things with both systems, so I feel comfortable giving my opinion.
i have owned a sr556 put about 2000 rounds through it. thats not a lot in some circles but thats enough for me to make an opinion. lugged it around coyote hunting in south texas. its a clunky unwieldy hard to service gun. works great on the range and field if you dont mind the weight and balance issues. i wouldnt spend the money on it if i didnt want to like it when i got it.

the reality was the little things made me trade it off.

when you reach a higher round count or use it in a field situation you might re-evaluate but thats a personal choice. as for me im just relating my experiences after owning and using one for a while.

good luck with your purchase i look forward to your first range report

here is a post i made back in 2009 very shortly after i got my sr556...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ruger-sr556-question-20045/#post185810
Quote:
my SR556 does that too. but its not really an issue for me. im used to select fire M16 from the army so stopping at single shot is second nature. i can see how it would be aggravating tho. most liekly ruger was saving money and just put in select fire levers that work with full auto versions in the semiauto rifles.

its the only problem i have found with em. however. damn things shoot better than my other two AR
i initially had a very favorable opinion that changed greatly as i got to know the gun better

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-12-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
You might want to lurk a while at Lightfighter and M4C, Redleg. Lots of info.
I may do that. Spend more time than I should on these forums as it is. Calguns, Firing Line, 1911, Ruger (both) and several others.

Nice info on this thread. Nothing wrong with a lot of different opinions. I am a big Ruger guy, but also have three Dan Wessons, four Berettas, along with a heckuva lot of Ruger guns.

Anyway (drum roll) here is a parting pic of my Ruger SR556E with EOTech RDS and Troy Tritium Battlesights:

Last edited by Redleg; 05-12-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #40

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey don't lump me! Haha, I came very close to buying the LMT Piston gun, I looked at the ruger pretty hard, but in the end I bought a DI gun, because it was the best? Yes! The best for me!

Come on over to mc4 it's a great bunch of folks that taught me more about the AR platform in a year than I had learned in 20 on my own.

And for the record I will own a piston gun someday, but it will be an LMT SBR.

MY OPINION AGAIN:-)

Fetep