Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1gmach198 View Post
I wasn't very familiar with gas vs. piston, so the guy at the shop explained that the piston rifles shoot cleaner and last longer. Whether there's truth to that I don't know, but based on his recommendation I had started to narrow my search thinking piston was better.

If that isn't the case, I may need to expand my search again.

I definitely appreciate the input/suggestions on alternate rifles that would get me more bang for the buck (pun not intended).
The junk has to go somewhere. Just depends whether you want to clean a bcg or a piston block...

They dont last any longer as they wear and tear isnt in the gas tube or piston its in the muzzle and chamber. Type of gas system has nothing to do with it.

The downside of a piston is greatly increased weight usually unbalancing the rifle unless something is shaved on the front or added to the rear. Thats the case with sr556 while it functions fine, no thought was given to the weight and balance of the rifle.

My preference is the newer gas tube design (pistons are only new in ar15s) less parts less weight. But thats digressing into a philosophy of use arena.

So your salesman was a little right some folks like cleaning the gas block better

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Write this down on a business card size piece of paper and put it in your wallet for future reference, 99% of the guys behind the counter are clueless.

I have a piston and multiple DIs. I prefer the DIs and rarely get the piston AR out of the safe. Cleaner? No. Heavier? Yes. More expensive? Almost double what I paid for any of the DIs.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

The choices are dizzying, so I'm wondering what everyone's top choice would be if they had $3,500 to spend (excluding building one from scratch because I'm not that knowledgeable/mechanically talented). What's your top pick for a quality a-15 that you'd want with you in a SHTF scenario?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I looked for years, did all the research, read all the reviews and hung out on all the ar sites. Talked to dozens of gunshop employees and handled everything I could, shot some buddies AR's and got their opinions, everyone has an opinion ya know. I looked at piston vs DI, and decided on DI. DI has a track record that speaks for itself, I'll buy a piston when I can legally own an SBR in Michigan. My choices came down to Noveske, BCM, DANIEL DEFENSE, and LMT.
I ended up with an LMT CQB MRP, we bought the wife an LMT basic, I chose the LMT because I hadn't read one bad word about the weapon or the company, I really liked the monolithic rail, the sopmod stock, and the ergo grip standard! Any one of the companies mentioned above will serve you well. Money wasn't an issue when buying something that may someday save mine or a family members life, I have not one single bit of remorse and am happy I didn't skimp on this purchase.

I wish you luck!

Fetep

Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^^^^that had paragraphs when I typed it;-)

Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1gmach198
The choices are dizzying, so I'm wondering what everyone's top choice would be if they had $3,500 to spend (excluding building one from scratch because I'm not that knowledgeable/mechanically talented). What's your top pick for a quality a-15 that you'd want with you in a SHTF scenario?
There's really only a handful of viable options.

No need to spend $3500 on an AR15. Pick up a BCM 16" LW upper then order a BCM complete lower to put it on. Attach a BattleComp 1.0 and top it off w/ a set of Troy BUIS and an Aimpoint H1. I do recommend a Magpul STR stock and a 13" Troy Alpha. Other than that purchase ammunition, PMags, electronic ear pro, and some nice shooting glasses. Also find a local carbine class to attend so you're not "that guy".

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #17

Ended up double-posting

Last edited by s1gmach198; 05-09-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1gmach198 View Post
im doing that right now. i chose bcm midlength lightweight with bcm bolt carrier group with acog ta31fg magpul moe handguards magpul acsl stock and a magpul mbus rear backup sight.

simple not too pricey for what ya get when you need something that is going to work.

it really comes down to personal preference. go handle a bunch in stores and such see what appeals. then you will have a better grasp of the features you want.

as for optics top three are aimpoint trijicon and eotech. then there are various 1-4x more traditional type scopes. or just a good set of iron sights.

after all Simo Häyhä made the vast majority of his sniper shots with iron sights

personally i think colt and bcm are the top choices for a basic ohsht no frills gun that will run no matter what. anyway you just need to go out and do some window shopping for a bit so you know the options that are out there and have a better idea of what you like.

all of us can sit here and say what we would pick that may not fit your likes

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #19

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

The BCM LW midlength is a great choice, I also just got one. In fact quite a few of us here have bought BCM in the last year or two.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I carried an M-16 in the Army, and was responsible for second tier maintenance of the M-16 rifle for a number of years. In my opinion the piston operating system is a clear advance over the conventional choice. A lot of the fellows criticize piston rifles because the weight distribution is different from an M-16. Surprise -- you get a different operating system and the rifle changes slightly. Almost everyone, except for the folks in this thread, acknowledge that a piston operating system runs cleaner, and more importantly, runs more reliably than a conventional AR/M-16 platform. Saying that "the junk has to go somewhere" and then dismissing the overall cleaner operation of the piston OS is simply inaccurate. Nowhere but here have I ever heard the claim made that the AR system runs as clean as the piston system. Because it does not.

The AR platform is fine, battle tested and all that. But it is the product of the late 1950s. The guys in Vietnam found out just how dirty the M-16 shoots, and its overall high maintenance requirements. Ruger knows a thing or two about building firearms, and they went with the piston design for a reason--it is better. The piston system on the SR556 is a clear advance and makes for a better rifle. My $.02.

Last edited by Redleg; 05-10-2012 at 02:31 PM.