Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any Ruger SR556 carbine owners out there?

This is my first post on the forum and I'm brand new to AR-15s, so please go easy on me

I'm looking to purchase my first AR-15 and saw the Ruger SR 556 at the local shop. I was wondering if any of you own this model, and if so, what feedback you have on it.

I'm primarily looking for a quality weapon that is both reliable and accurate. I don't do competition shooting, but would like something that's both fun to shoot as well as good in a SHTF scenario.

I've looking to invest $3,500 or less for both a rifle and a sight. So far, EOTech has caught my eye on the sight side of things, so I'm planning on a decent chunk of that going to the sight.

If anyone has other suggestions for makes/models in this range, I'm certainly open to the input.

Thanks in advance - glad to be here!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Welcome to FTF. Good pick on the optic. Be prepared for a lot of suggestions.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #3

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Wow that's a nice budget. I'd skip the Ruger though, you can get much better. Are you sold on a piston AR?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Just about every major ar maker out there makes a far superior product than the sr556. I used to have one. Run, run far and fast. Most ar15 are easy to work on. The ruger sr is not ruger has everything roll pinned in place andthey are one use only. If anything goes wrong you cannot diy it.

They are incredibly heavy and clunky. Its a product that a bunch of guys read on forums what everyone seemed to want so they loaded it down with a ton of third party stuff and none of it really works as a whole.

I would look to rra, bcm, colt, noveske, daniel defense, pof, psa, hell even a freekin dpms before i got another ruger sr556

As for optic its personal taste. My pref is for acogs and 1-4 power scopes over holo sights but thats just me.

I just ordered myself a bcm midlength lightweight with magpul acsl stock moe handguards and a acog ta31fg with larue qd mount and with you budget lines i still got aroumd 1200-1300 left...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, I have shot a lot of ARs and am pretty familiar with them from the Army, where I carried an M-16 for 4 years. (Finally went to a 45 as my personal weapon when I made Captain.)

I went with the Ruger SR556E. Best handling AR I have used or handled. I like the "E" model for the minimalist front end and the nice price. Got an EOTech XPS2-0 red dot for it, and the Troy fold-down battlesights.

There seems to be some hostility to the SR556 on this forum for some reason. On other gun forums it seems to be very well thought of.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

I think im the only one that is really hostile towards it. I just felt like i got ripped off and was grateful to get rid of it for a decent trade.

Everyone else just thinks there are better rifles for cheaper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I think im the only one that is really hostile towards it. I just felt like i got ripped off and was grateful to get rid of it for a decent trade.

Everyone else just thinks there are better rifles for cheaper.
Yours is one of the opinions that make me pay attention. I've held one of them, and, bad as it sounds? I'd have rather had the Hi-Point.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #8

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

I've only handled the Ruger in the gun shop. Way too front heavy for me. And I also respect Jon's first hand experience, he tells it straight and it would be smart to listen before jumping in with the SR-556.

I have seen a lot of positive SR-556 reviews in the gun rags but when's the last time they ever criticise anything! As much as I normally like Ruger, they botched their AR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I was able to handle one recently as well. Everything I have read is correct. I was not impressed in the slightest. But then again I had just finished banging away on a BCM and DD.

I never made it past how front heavy it was except to laugh when I flipped the price tag over so it could be read. Crazy.

Optics: I like the micro Aimpoints but have never had a problem w/ my XPS. It really depends on what ranges you will be shooting at.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #10

I wasn't very familiar with gas vs. piston, so the guy at the shop explained that the piston rifles shoot cleaner and last longer. Whether there's truth to that I don't know, but based on his recommendation I had started to narrow my search thinking piston was better.

If that isn't the case, I may need to expand my search again.

I definitely appreciate the input/suggestions on alternate rifles that would get me more bang for the buck (pun not intended).