Any one interested in helping a new guy with AR questions? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Any one interested in helping a new guy with AR questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 349 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 119

One thing I have noted, is my Magpul plastic magazine function better than many/ most aluminum copies such as Brownells. they have nice followers but the mags won't tolerate round a little long OAL. Don't want most of the rounds hung up in the magazine. I have some Colt mags from Nam era. have to watch OAL, in them too but nothing like the crop, of copies out there.

Last edited by tinbucket; 06-07-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: off mark sentence
Old 06-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Originally Posted by deadeye308 View Post

Some main questions are:

- Should i be looking for any mil spec aluminum lowers, or are certain ones better then others as far as upgrading later on?

- Do all aftermarket mags fit most lowers well? or are there some I should stay away from.

-Is there any advantage of buying a complete lower than a stripped?

- Do most AR lowers and uppers fit well together if they are diffrent companies?

I'd love to help...we all started somewhere.

1. All lowers are basically the same.
I wouldn't pay top dollar for any of them unless there's just a cool logo you're willing to pay more for.
That goes for parts kits as well. A simple one from CMMG is no better or worse than any others. And you can upgrade from there with an ambidextrous safety, upgraded trigger, etc.

2. Any AR15 magazine will fit. Most guys will opt for the magpul ones. They've worked well for me for years. They're light, extremely reliable and come in a bunch of colors if you're into that stuff.

3. The advantage of building a lower is that you will know the inner workings of it. You'll better understand your rifle and you be able to better diagnose it if you ever have any problems with it. Also, it's fun and easy to do and it feels good knowing you built it yourself. If you're feeling intimidated by building it yourself, don't. It's easy. Pull up a YouTube video and follow along. No real special tools needed.

4. You should have any issues with uppers and lowers fitting together. I have heard of it happening but it's extremely rare. Most everyone I know builds their rifles and mixes and matches manufacturers and I've never seen it be a problem.
I'd build it and mix and match as much as you want to get exactly what you want. I have parts from Daniel defense, bravo company and spikes tactical all on one rifle. Never had a misfire.

Keep us posted with your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk